Can Beard Thinning Eliminate 5 O'Clock Shadow?

I am looking into using electrolysis for beard thinning. Just a little background - I’m non-binary and was originally planning on simply doing everything I can to completely eliminate my facial hair, starting with laser, then electrolysis to pick up what laser can’t get. I have light skin and dark hair which makes me a good candidate for laser, except I also have grey hairs which I would need electrolysis for. However, I thought about it and I might prefer to preserve my ability to grow a beard as long as I’m also able to be smooth. In that case, I will seek to eliminate neck hair and facial hair I never need like on the cheeks but thin out the beard area itself. I currently have ample facial hair and it grows back quickly. It has always been really hard to shave my mustache off without irritating that area and making it puffy. I’d like all remaining facial hair to be equally dense and easy to shave off.

What I hear from many trans women is that after a few laser sessions, they’re able to be smoother longer without having to shave every day. What I want to know is can I achieve that but without the patchiness of laser if I used electrolysis to more evenly thin out my beard. Ideally, I’d want to only have to shave a few times a week, not get o’clock shadow and not have to use special makeu-up techniques to hide that I have stubble. I want to look like someone who doesn’t grow facial hair at all the days that I do choose to not have a beard. I don’t mind if it takes a really long time to grow a beard as long as it ultimately comes in evenly and I don’t mind having to shave up to 3x a week. Ideally I’d prefer to not have to shave every day as my skin gets irritated easily.

Is what I want possible? Is it likely to be more costly and time-consuming than my original plan of using laser, then electrolysis to completely eliminate facial hair, given that most of my facial hair is coarse and dark?

I have evenly thinned beards via Electrolysis done with the Full Clearance Method.
This picture shows the results of one full clearance.

2 Likes

It’s so awesome when Brother James comes in and shows his work. I^I this man right here guys is one of the more helpful electrologists to ever grace hairtell ever, moderating it and making it what it is for over 18 years! It’s so nice to see the guy who helped me the most over the years back in the saddle .

I can personally attest to patchy results from laser hair removal on the beard. It’s why I dont recommend laser for the face, really on anyone? But most of all on deep testosterone induced hairs.

1 Like

By full clearance method, do you mean all hairs are targeted? One thing I’m confused by is I thought the reason for the patchiness of laser is that at a given time, many hairs are not in growth phase and so won’t be destroyed. Is this not the case with electrolysis too?

It is not the case with electrologist that only Anagen hairsaretargetted or destroyed. This hasbeen thoroughly debunked. The electrologist you are responding to ( James) is one of the people responsible for proving this fact. We target all hair present in the follicle in order to destroy all hair within every cycle of growth, regardless of the stage of growth. within that cycle we have the ability to kill all hair. Full stop.

Ah okay that’s good to know. That would explain why I’ve never seen electrolysis results that had that patchy appearance. I do still want to be able to grow a beard, I just want the density of hairs to be low enough that it takes longer to come in and is easier to shave off. From what I read on other topics, someone said you need a 50% reduction in hairs to avoid 5 o’clock shadow. Would I get that after one full clearing?

likely very close to that yes.My experience with most of clients on the trans spectrum however is they are rarely happy withthat long term Think of electrolysis as more of a gateway drug…lol…most start looking for more areas to do the same.An expensive hobby.

1 Like