burns/hypopigmentation

Hi. I’ve had 4 lightsheer treatments on my legs, starting at 32 joules and then adding 2 joules per treatment, with the 4th treatment at 38 joules. After that session, I had some scabbing – not all over, but at around 20 points of treatment. After the scabs came off, the skin color was lighter, and now, at 10 weeks since the last treatment, it is still lighter – has anyone else had this happen, and if so, did your skin color eventually even out?

Thanks

Steven

Hi! Unfortunately this is a common occurrence with the Lightsheer machine. Your skin type is just a little too dark to be treated at that fluence level. You may or may not regain pigmentation in those areas - often practitioners suggest going out in the sun to even out the pigmentation. Since we are also in the skin care business in our practice, we would never suggest a client tan their skin to improve the color. Be patient, wear sunblock if you are out in the sun. When we had this machine and treated one young lady on her legs, the resulting hyperpigmentation took over 6 month to resolve - she was not a happy camper, since she had to wear sunblock, long pants and use bleaching agents for that time period, and we are located in South Florida! We do not use the Lightsheer machine any more because of this - diode and alexandrite machines are wonderful on white skin/black or dark hair, but once you get past Fitzpatrick 3 skin types, it’s too risky to use them. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Ciao :wink:

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by steven:
<strong>…
After the scabs came off, the skin color was lighter, and now, at 10 weeks since the last treatment, it is still lighter – has anyone else had this happen, and if so, did your skin color eventually even out?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>For me, yes, but it takes very long. There are still 2 or 3 spots that are still light on my skin, but that’s not the place where I would get tan normally.

Steven, can i inquire to the colour of your skin? If you could describe and compare it to that of a celebrity i would appreciate it. I am almost Lisa Bonet coloured and have every intention of following through w/ lightsheer. I also expect pigment problem, but prefer them to the hair, just trying to estimate what type of problem i’m looking at here. Thanks.