Build Your own 27 Mhz Epilator - using CB radio

I am starting to get back to working on this project after having to move my office space. Not the best of situations, but starting to cope with it anyway.
I have decided to back things up a bit again. Micro-flash requires power output levels of a little over 20 watts. The CB is in no way going to come anywhere near that stock. So instead of adjusting the power level from inside the CB, I plan on anyone being able to use any CB with no internal modifications of any kind.
Epilation times with a stock CB will range in time requires from about 0.03 seconds for very fine lip hairs to about 0.2 seconds for course facial hairs. This timing is still too fast to be able to use any form of manual switching. I found a pulse generator kit for $29 online, that I believe can be used for the switching control for an epilator someone can begin with. This part of the project uses manual knob turning for adjustments and so it is just a beginners epilator in my opinion.
I have the MPA midi controller that can provide millisecond timing pulses and want to progress as well to the computer controlled epilator. That will now be accomplished by constructing a power amplifier that uses an adjustable power supply to regulate the output level. 20 watt amplifiers are available in kit form online, and I know these outputs can be pushed higher if need be. I certainly do not see any reason to need to just to the 100 watt class by any means. So it looks as if the project is going to be making a power leap in the near future. But for now, I plan on just playing with my function generator to key the unit for trials, then maybe checking into ordering this $29 pulse generator to see if it will really work or not. The trigger output could sound a beep to let operator know that pulse is active. I believe triggering power input should work as a means of triggering the generator.
What I would like to do to compare a 13.5mhz and the CB epilator, is to run tests using egg whites and maybe even recording the different settings. It should be interesting to see how much if any differences there happens to be. This testing of course will be with both units running identical power and pulse width and the same non insulated probes. This is what I really want to find out for myself, is the quickness and less pain advertised due to the frequency shift or to the power output level being increased.
Anyway, anyone with suggestions as to how this test should be conducted, I would like to hear from.

I have found and ordered a kit Pulse Generator for $29 plus shipping.
http://secure.transtronics.com/SK-302.htm
It does have a trigger level input, so being able to use a foot switch will be easy to wire. I now have the total cost of this epilator down into the $200 range, and it has a power level as high if not higher than an Clareblend Ultrablend, and it runs at twice the frequency. In a few weeks I plan to run some testing comparing 13.5Mhz to 27Mhz. Maybe someone will explain to me how I might be able to post them on here, or maybe just putting a link to another site might work as well.
The project does not have galvanic currents, and is strictly thermolysis, as the RF power is to great to make blend an option. It would need about a 10db attenuator to make Blend viable.
Anyway, some changes have been made to my website, for those who are interested.
http://marthajoy7.clearwire.net/CBconversion/

Here is another update:
This $29 pulse Generator is going to work wonderfully. It arrived today, and I spent this evening putting it together. This project has absolutely no problems with foot switch triggering. No false triggering was detected of any kind. The kit has a manual switch as part of the kit. I just ran two wires from across that switch to a new jack (RCA) in the back of the chassis. My footswitches I have rigged to use RCA jacks so this allows different switches to be shared. However, if you are purchasing a $7 foot switch off the web, that comes with a 1/4 inch phone plug, so you will either want to install a 1/4" phone jack or you will have to change the plug on the footswitch to whatever you want.
Bad news is the output is not 0-10v as stated. it is 0 to +10v or 0 to -10v but no pulse always = zero volts, which leaves the epilator keyed. This is because the circuit is driving an output stage which then outputs the adjustable level output. The stages prior to this are TTL NAND gates, and so it is possible that wiring a mic cord directly to this point might work, but worse case altogether, is to use the positive out to trigger a transitor to switch the CB to transmit mode. very simple to do, and I have proved previously that this will work.
I am looking at hopefully running my comparison tests next week, as I have clients to help the rest of the week. Anyway, I will keep those interested informed as things progress.

The Pulse Generator for this project works wonderfully. It is constructed and tested out. I am just about ready to start tests to compare how 13.5 mhz electrolysis compares to 27 mhz. Both using identical power levels and pulse widths. I wish to record the video that I take for tests and then maybe I can encode them into computer files for others to observe as well.
Initial tests will be conducted with pulse durations as short as 0.02 seconds and will proceed to 0.4 seconds. That right now is the longest duration for the pulse generator. That is capable of being changed really easy though if different pulse lengths are needed.
I am beginning to realize that not everyone has the experience or the desire to build this pulse generator, and so I will consider building it for a fee to cover my costs and some income. Development time has all been my expense, and I feel that building for others, should bring at least some income into our home. I would need to know what brand and model number of the CB that this unit will connect to, in order to interface it correctly. It can be powered by the same power supply that the CB is using, so only the one power supply is needed.
Another option as far as probe cables. The dectro probe cables that use a TA3 connector do work at 27mhz and are less expensive. I might be able to construct a short cable adapter to change pl-259 connector to the mating connector for this, or the TA3 could be removed and a BNC Plug installed. The a simple pl-259 to BNC adapter could be used. But then any replacement cables would also need to have this mode performed.
The choice is up the the user.

Iā€™m excited about this. Iā€™m going to build it!

What ever happened to Marthajoy?
Too bad her project website is downā€¦

I already have some parts and will be putting it together over the winter.

Lyndsey

How are you making out Lyndsey?

Hi hankm77, I had to put the project on the back burner for a while. I collected the CB, power supply and a case for it so farā€¦ I need to get a signal generator and whatever else I need. Iā€™m still excited to build it and will when my finances permit it.
Thanks for asking! :slight_smile:

I ran across this thread about a month ago while searching the internet and realised this was right up my alley. It turns out I already have most of what is required: 13.8V power supply, brand new in the box CB sitting in a storage room for 25 years.

I am using a Daisy probeholder and cable from Uni-probe with a BNC connector (using a Pl-259 to BNC adapter on the CB). My oscilloscope reads about 12-14V p-p at the tip, so I assume this probe is capable of operating at 27MHz. My only concern is the cable states it is RG-174, but also says it is 75 Ohms. I canā€™t find any records of RG-174 cable being anything else but 50 Ohms. If anyone has a Decro probe or Apilus Platinum probe and can measure the length of the cable and probe (and tell me what type of cable it uses) I would greatly appreciate it.

Iā€™m not sure what Marthajoyā€™s plans were as here websites are long dead, so if anyone can fill me in with any of the missing information that would be great. Most importantly would be any information on pulses. I have decided this project would be best using a microcontroller. I have a PIC controller connected to a 24x2 digit LCD display, so I can pretty much program it to do whatever I want. I basically need some information on what types of pulses to send depending on the hair type.

This is an old thread. I recently attempted to contact Marthajoy to see if she followed through with her project, but did not get a response. Depending on power output, timing or pulse duration can vary from 1/1000 of a second up to several seconds. Treatment parameters based on hair type are software programs proprietary to manufacturers and not available even to electrologists.

Hi Everyone, does anybody know about the peak-to-peak voltage of the commercial models? Any model? Iā€™d appreciate it. Thanks.

Itā€™s been year since I was involved in machine design, but I believe standard manual HF-thermolysis (blend) levels are 35Vp-p - 90Vp-p.

[color:#3333FF]I miss Marthajoy, she was my buddy. She was cool, she was kind of sarcastically funny too, to people that just didnā€™t get her. I feel bad, because she wanted me to assist her somehow, maybe with just being her inspiring friend. The one from the CB radio, I remember she either had it working, or almost had it working. She had some formal electrical training, I think from the Navy. She was as smart as they get. She built all kinds of stuff. She was a natural.

She was up in Puget Sound, I visited her website. No mention of her like it used to have(?). Your best bet is to place a polite call to her electrolysis clinic on her link. Maybe they can lead you to her via some registry, its such a small community. She was always out to talk about stuff she wanted to do. I think she would be pleasantly surprised to hear someone followed her plans to built an Apilus Platinum frequency style machine from useable parts.

I remember when she got the used Clareblend(?), and she actually did all these circuitry measurements on it. She found the machine was pretty far off its claimed marks and voltage increments. When she contacted Clareblend with this, they just got kind of redfaced and refused to send her a userā€™s manual with a schematic. HA! She wanted to fix it, make it better than when it left the factory. I think she installed high-precision ā€˜ratioā€™ knobs on it, and replaced some of the circuitry. And she was like, ā€˜nowā€™ itā€™s a decent machine. You gotta love that. :slight_smile:

I always told her she should design a cheap machine and bring it to a manufacturer. I miss her. :frowning:

Mantaray[/color]

Please dont.If you dont have enough knowledge you will cuse damage.That you are asking for schematics on this project, is enough evidence that you dont have the pre-requisite knowledge todo this on your own.

EXACTLY! We donā€™t want to see you on here asking for advice on what to do for damaged skin.

Okey Dokey!

Not that it canā€™t happen, but in the 43 years I have been an electrologist, Iā€™ve heard multiple people talk about how they, a spouse, or an electronics person they know could build a thermolysis epilator yet not a single machine has materialized.

Enough to follow a schematic, but not enough to come up with your own design or know the parameters that you should be designing under. Iā€™m sorry, but we canā€™t help you.

Thermolysis is not something to be experimented with. It has the potential to cause real significant damage in unskilled hands.You may have noticed that the energy at set intensities varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer and there seems to be no standard unit of itā€™s measurement?

Adult or not what you are asking is the equivelent of walking into a drivers Ed class at your local high school and asking the kids in the class to build a car from scratch , or asking the groundskeeper at your local nuclear power station to help you design an efficient reactor.

Nope, not gatekeeping. The knowledge you seek isnt anywhere to be found on this board. No one here builds thermolysis machines. Others design build and manufacture them.Companies like dectro, instantron, Silouette Tone Fiser, Clairblend. Perhaps you could email the engineering teams at one of those companies and ask them? Because asking ( and now harrassing) the moderators of this board is asking those who have never done such a thing, to suddenly pass that information on to you out of thin air.
Youā€™re walking on very thin ice. I and Deedra are the sole moderators of this board, and I personally, do everything in my power to support DIY. ITā€™s where my own background in electrology begins. But design a thermolysis circuit schematic? Nope, not holding out, I strait up do not have the knowledge you seek. Because in civilized countries, people use the products that were designed by others.
Frankly you are coming accross as crass rude obnoxious and demanding we provide you what we ourselves do not know. Get lost. I wont help you further. Next attack on any member of this board from you and your account will be permanently disabled. Capiche?

1 Like

If the purpose is to save money by building your own unit to work on a loved one or yourself, may I suggest that you purchase a professional epilator and get some online training at that the very least? You can tear it apart and attempt to reverse engineer it if you want or are just desirous for your own intellectual pursuits of how it works. Itā€™s all up to you. Even if we knew a schematic for building a device, it would be a huge liability if we shared that with you. We donā€™t want to harm yourself or others. I know you are an adult and we come together with all respect for your safety so as not damage yourself or others.

I was very blunt with Seana years ago on this forum when she was trying to DYI, all in the name of giving good advice and caring about the person. This forum will not cross the line into the deep hole of liability concerns. I hope you understand that sammy.

Iā€™m not sure if manufacturers ever release their full schematics to the public since they donā€™t want people to copy their designs. I doubt Dectro which is the sole manufacturer of the 27Mhz epilators would release that unless youā€™re their licensed repair tech. Nobody on this forum possesses working knowledge of electrolysis machine design or has access to schematics to reverse engineer epilators. Expecting electrologists to have knowledge or schematics is like expecting a cardiac surgeon to know how to build a pacemaker.

The late Mike Bono mentioned how Dr. Heimlich (electrical engineer) at Texas Electrolysis supply could not fully service Hinkel epilators because the company refused to release schematics to him. If an electrical engineer with lifetime experience in repairing electrolysis equipment could not figure it out on his own, I think itā€™s suffice to say building a machine from ground up will be difficult with safety risks. Youā€™re better off buying a professional machine which are available and donā€™t need to spend 3k +.

1 Like