Bruising Question

Hello,

I had electrolysis on my breast hairs 2 1/2 weeks ago and I got a small bruise. I’m not sure if it’s related to the electrolysis or not-I’ve gotten a couple bruises in the past but it was like 3 days-1 weeks after the sessions. I think this may be related to the treatment because the hair follicle at the center of the bruise was bright red and I think it was caused when I accidentely slept chest down in an odd position and pressure was applied to the site.

Is it possible to get bruising 2 1/2 weeks later if pressure is applied to a site electrolysis was treated?

Bruising from electrolysis is rare but can happen on occasion and it is completely harmless. Bruising from electrolysis would be noticed immediately or by the next day. Bruising that appears 2.5 weeks after an electrolysis treatment is unrelated to electrolysis.

2 Likes

Very common. it usually turns yellowish very quickly. Caused by a burst blood vessel near the base of the follicle. Blood vessels regularly re-organize themselves so no harm done, and will resolve quickly.

2 Likes

Thanks! Do you know how long after the sessions it could cause a bruise if pressure is applied to the area electrolysis was done. I got the bruise 2 1/2 weeks later and I’m unsure if it’s electrolysis related.

if it’s 2 1/2 week later this is unrelated to your electrolysis treatment.

That was helpful information. Glad to know it is harmless. Thanks.

Very helpful explanation. Thanks!

About the bruising, sometimes the hair can be a bit wavy, curly, sallow or deep and/or if the probe or needle goes beyond or not beyond a follicle, it’s possible a small capillary or thread like vessel is nearby and can pop. This can cause bruising in some people. It can be yellow/blue color, but not limited too. For that particular hair or area that’s being treated, I do not want to say a poor insertion happened or a probe or needle was too small or large for the follicle or not, but it is something else to consider that may have happened. We electrologists have to do a lot of feeling and try to be as accurate as possible on the insertion, but sometimes it can feel right, but we can’t see under the skin, so it’s a feeling type process to get the root of the hair to disable it to stop growing. Thinner dry skin on the underneath area of the eyebrows can be another area that can bruise on a rare occasion. Lots of capillaries there too. The bruise fades out over a few weeks and some people can take longer, depending on how depth of the bruise.
For the electrolysis treatment, if someone applies numbing cream to the area before the treatment, it chases the blood away from the area for a short amount of time and this may help with less bruising and sensitivity. (Always check with Dr. or professional care before using these chemicals/products).