breastfeeding and laser treatment

I’m not sure if I posted this elsewhere already, but here goes;
I want to get laser treatment to remove hair on my chin, but I am currently breastfeeding my 16 month old (once a day). I do plan on weaning soon, but hope to become pregnant soon thereafter.
I certainly wouldn’t think of having the treatment when pregnant, but wanted to know if anyone had any information or references about laser treatment and breastfeeding.
very helpful information in this forum! Thanks!

Hi niko–
There have been no studies showing whether laser or electrolysis have any effect on pregnancy or lactation. There have also been no reports of problems stemming from these methods for expectant and new mothers. Basically, it constitutes what doctors call an “unknown risk.”
My general recommendation is to use a method that does not use energy or chemicals while pregnant or nursing: waxing, tweezing, shaving, threading, sugaring.
Some women have undergone laser or electrolysis while pregnant or nursing after speaking with a physician. I think it’s better to err on the side of caution, personally, but a physician can help you decide if it’s an acceptable level of risk.

Thanks for the information, and I think I will heed your advice, and hold off. Actually, after spending time looking at the information on your site, I think I might take the electrolysis route, given that there are no long term studies on the effects of laser treatment, and electrolysis seems to have similar rates of effectiveness.
Thanks for the reply!

Electrolysis tends to keep the energy in a little more concentrated area, which may help spare surrounding skin structures. However, there has been very little long-term quantified data on electrolysis effects. The main thing it has going for it is 125+ years of anecdotal reports of safety.

I think it’s probably wise to skip laser or electr for now.