Breaking from Electrolysis

I’ve been getting electrolysis on my upper lip every week for 4 months now. The hair on my lip has thinned (very) slightly.

However, I am not happy with my electrologist and I can’t find someone suitable in my area. It has already cost me over $600 and this procedure has become a financial drain. In order to continue, I will need to make some financial sacrifices, that I can, but would prefer not to make.

I am thinking of taking a break. A long one; 6 months, maybe a year (maybe more). I am wondering how much this will set me back in my procedure and if there are things I can do to help preserve the results?

Is it better for me to break completely from it, or to go intermittently?

Thank you very much. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

You haven’t given this the proper chance. I don’t know what your electrologist is doing. I don’t know her skill level or anything about her “tools”. What kind of electrolysis is she using? They all work. Some are slower than others. Can she see well enough to insert properly into the follicle? How much hair did you start with? How thick are the hairs? Are you tweezing at all?

Most of my clients are spending no more than $500 over the 9-12 months it takes to do most upper lip cases.

You need a first, full clearance followed by properly spaced sessions to keep up with any regrowth or new growth.

You probably should talk to your electrologist and express your concerns, since we can’t seek out other electrologists in your area.

If you take time out for six months, it will be like starting all over again. The follicles that were permanently disabled in these last four months will not return.

It is truly disappointing that there are not more electrologists in our locale so you could compare.

Dee

My electrologist has been doing this for 15 years. She has been using the same machine for 15 years. I think the brand may be Compublend or Compu-something. She is using thermolysis.

The number of hairs is not decreasing, but there is a slight thinning of the hair size.

I highly think her eye sight is not very good. She often misses the follicle and pierces new holes. When she is tweezing out the hairs, she often knicks me. That’s why I’m not satisfied with her. This is a rather sensitive subject, as this isn’t something she can change.

I only expected to spend $500 or so. However, I’ve now exceeded my budget and results are still yet to come. She told me to expect to come in for at least another 5 months.

Since electrolysis is permanent, and the follicles are destroyed forever, why does it matter if I take a break? They aren’t going to grow back.

Thanks

What kind of hair did you have on your upper lip originally?
I had a bunch of coarse hairs from tweezing and I see a reduction of the coarse hairs even just in almost 4 months. However, I have a lot of fine brown hairs and it takes forever to get cleared. I don’t think I’ve ever had a full clearance yet on the upper lip of my fine brown hairs. So it’s frustrating even for me, but that really sucks to only have access to an electrologist who pokes holes in your skin.

What about if you found someone farther away who you could drive to every 3 weeks or so and use numbing cream and have a long session on your upper lip?

I’ve spent about $800 so far (but on more areas) and I’m not even halfway through…but what else can I do but thread and tweeze my whole life and have it get worse and worse. I don’t want to spend my life worrying about facial hair.

Sounds like a Fischer Compu-Blend
http://www.rafischer.com/script/showprod.pl?item=CB-X&group=epilator

I’m female. The original hair wasn’t too coarse to start with. I’m also young, so I haven’t really waxed or tweezed a lot.

I’m also not at all worried about the fine hairs on my upper lip. She doesn’t usually treat those anyway. I’m just worried about the thicker hairs that show.

When you get a first, full clearance then any hair after that that comes to the surface is bound to be new, fragile, moist hair that is in the growing phase. This is the ideal phase to treat hair. First, full clearance can be achieved quickly and you have the great feeling of looking finished when you really are not finished.

Your electrologist is correct when she says you need more time. Neither she or you have power over the all powerful Mother Nature. Mother Nature dictates to us when hairs will come to the surface so they are available to see and treat. If she is making new holes instead of sliding the probe down the natural pocket in the skin called the follicle, then time is not what you need. You need a new electrologist that can see. I don’t know where you live or if you are in a position to travel to another city, but that may have to be your next step.

To answer one of your questions, since you have not been doing this for 9 months to a year, if you stop now, you will have a whole bunch of hairs that come in and leave without having been treated. During this time, you will believe that you got nothing from your treatments, as the follicles that were treated only grow during the months of April, May, June & July. So, if you stop now, you won’t even be able to see what progress you have made until next year during the months of April, May, June & July. There would be little to no residual effect of the treatment noticeable during the months of October to March.

If you are having trouble understanding why, take a look at this thread for more explanation.

After 15 years, she should be proficient.

A “slight thinning” is not good enough. After this many hours, you should see a decrease in the number of hairs.

Why would anyone go to an electrologist who they believe has poor eyesight? If she is puncturing your skin, then she is not proficient with her insertions. If she is picking at your skin, rather than extracting the hairs, then she needs to improve her techniques.

You might “feel” that this is something that she cannot change, but it IS something that can be changed. If she is indeed using the Fischer CBX epilator, she has one of the best epilators(out of many)around. In my opinion, this electrologist needs some help with her lighting, magnification and technique.

Consumers need to know what to look for and they need to move on when the treatment is not up to standard.