Bloomingdales stopped selling Do-it-yourself laser

I routinely pass thru Bloomingdales cosmetic dept on the way to a Macintosh computer store. I check regularly for anything they have for hair removal. They recently stopped selling a home laser unit for hair removal. I do not know why they did this or the name of the unit. The last one I saw was promoted for hair removal with no mention of the fact it was not permanent. Claims made stated, “no more painful and expensive electrolysis”. By comparing it to electrology they infer their device is permanent without saying it is, therefore, they are not lying. Customers are misled and believe this device is permanent because medical lasers are promoted for PERMANENT REDUCTION and consumers are not sharp enough to ask the proper questions because they do not know what to ask? Perhaps “Bloomies”, had too many of them returned. I’ll try to find out what the problem was and the name of the device.

I contacted the FDA a few weeks ago and asked what the difference was between the prescription laser for doctors and the Over-The-Counter device. I asked specific questions like… FDA labeling on the “prescription laser” for hair removal states that, it can only be sold to and used by those who are licensed in their state to use them" (this is on FDA web site) but the OTC unit can be sold to illiterates who can not read the instructions and precautions. What is the difference between these devices? Is the home unit safe to use without eye protection? Is it lower power than the prescription units? If it is lower power can it destroy a follicle and prevent regrowth? Can patients get burned by the device? Can users get blinded without instruction from a licensed operator as THERE ARE NONE?. Numerous similar questions were asked. Also I gave them the information that Bloomie’s was selling them and the saleswomen knew virtually NOTHING about the device. I wonder if my inquiry to FDA with the name of the store was enough to activate FDA to remove it from the market or notify the store. I do not know the names of any OTC lasers or I would have looked them up to see if they are still ADVERTISING THEM FOR SALE.

I’ll keep on checking with them to see what I can find out.

Maybe Bloomingdales was getting to many returns on this item and that’s why they stopped selling it. Interesting stuff. Thanks Harvey for your detective work.

So there are Silk’n and Tria, NO!NO! OTC products that use thermal energy. Any others that I missed?