Bleeding during electrolysis?

Hey everyone,

So I just had 15 mins of facial electrolysis, and for the first time ever started bleeding when my electrologist zapped a hair. I noticed a weird smell and my electrologist said she must have accidentally hit a capillary as the bleeding wouldnt stop for around 5 minutes or so. Is this something that can occasionally happen during electrolysis, and if so is it something I should worry about bar the potential bruising?

Thanks!

This can happen occasionally if the electrologist hits a capillary. Bruising can also happen but it is rare and nothing to be concerned about.

yes, it happens frequently. Those prone to this, it seems to happen alot more.

Phew, thanks guys :slight_smile: I won’t lie it did freak me out a little as the bleeding took forever to stop but glad it’s not something to worry about.

Bleeding is a bit more common with eyebrow work.

If the bleeding took “5-minutes to stop,” that would concern me. A little pressure and (optional additional) ice should have stopped the bleeding within several seconds (up to a minute) … not 5-minutes.

Are you on any medication that could be considered a “blood thinner?” Even Advil, aspirin or other drug of that nature (NSAIDS) can cause more bleeding. Tylenol would be okay. Vitamin E can also cause more bleeding.

People prepping for facial plastic surgery are required to discontinue Advil, etc., and Vitamin E, a week or so before surgery … and for several days after the surgery.

Additionally, the “weird smell” is curious. Was the smell like burning tissue? hummmm … puzzling.

1 Like

Yes I was surprised that it took that long to stop too! Not on any blood thinners. I do sometimes take multivitamins though (whenever I can remember :laughing:) so maybe that ties in with the Vit E thing?

And yes the smell was kind of like a burning smell, not sure if it was from the hair or tissue though!

I don’t think that the small amount of Vitamin E in your multivitamin would be enough to cause an abnormal bleed. Veins and small capillaries coagulate (clot) more rapidly than arteries. I can’t imagine that your electrologist punctured an artery, but I suppose it could happen.

What happens when you get a normal blood test? Abnormal bleeding? In normal cases you’ll probably noticed that even the 23G blood-draw needle in a large vein in your arm clots quickly with just some pressure from your finger. You’ve probably noticed that when you remove the little cotton ball and tape, there is almost no dry blood on the cotton. Was your blood test nominal, or too much bleeding?

If this was on the upper lip (thermolysis) you can sometimes smell burning tissue (not desirous; but not too significant either). So, this issue is a mystery for me. Bottom line: heals up and zero problem except for a temporary bruise.

I get blood tests quite often and never noticed any abnormal bleeding. The cotton pad usually will have a small dot of dried blood but that’s it. It seems like the electrolysis produced more blood than my blood tests :sweat_smile: But I guess it can happen as weird as it is. Luckily no bruise as of yet though, just a small red dot!

Thanks for the reply. Well, yours is something “for the books” and a lot of head scratching. In what area were you working (sorry if you already answered that question)? There are some arteries close to the skin’s surface and one might have been punctured … still a bit odd.

1 Like

Good point actually, it was along my jawline. Here are some photos of the area and scab close up. The scab seems to have gotten a bit larger and slightly dark in colour, presumably just tried blood, but not sure if cause for concern

I agree with Bono! “Still a bit odd.”
Does your electrologist have state licensing? Some states require more training hours than other states.
I am not saying she is not experienced or not trained. It could be a fluky thing that happened. Be sure you are seeing results of hair loss and no skin damage. Irritation and or redness can be normal after a session. Ask for post-electrolysis instructions for the healing process. Per your photo…do not pick the scab off, it needs to heal completely underneath the skin.
If you are not seeing results or are unhappy with the services of any electrologist, perhaps look for a C.P.E. (Certified Professional Electrologist), R.E. (Registered Electrologist), a referral from friends and/or check reviews.
You can go to American Electrology Association: find an electrologist

Put in your zip code to find an electrologist in your area.
Best wishes for things to work out for you!

Hi there, thanks for your reply! I’m in the UK, we have something called the BIAE here and she is registered with them. Luckily the scab has fallen off and it seems to be healing, but it is very slightly bruised (nothing major though). I will keep an eye out for adverse reactions in future appointments and if I’m unhappy will perhaps look for another electrologist!

I fiddled a bit with your photo. I see rather fine hairs and will assume your electrologist is using thermolysis and a short/fine needle. In such a case, piercing a blood vessel is less possible. Still, I would not worry about it at all.