bleaching! good or bad

I’ve been using bleach cream but i read that bleaching can cause the hair to become more erect and obvious (i agree). can anyone support or argue against this? Because i’m starting to think bleaching my hair is making it Worst!
are there any long term side effects with bleaching? (esp. with hair texture, hair growth, rate of growth, skin & etc…)

just to clarify, the bleaching is for my upper lips!

Bleaching “plumps up” the hairs, via the chemical process causing oxygen to be bubbled into the interior of the follicle. One may lose the pigment of the hair, but the hairs will actually become thicker due to this process. If the skin gets irritated from the constant bleaching, the hairs will start to grow thicker as well to begin with.

Shaving and clipping really are the best temporary options. Everything else tends to make the hairs thicker and darker, and more difficult to remove later.

thank you for your reply james, i was afraid that would be the case.

do u think if i let it be, the hair follicle would go back to being the way it was? (i’ve only started bleaching a year ago)

also, what’s you opinion on waxing? (or perhaps mixing both waxing and bleaching so when the hair gets thick i could wax and when its fine, i’ll continue to bleach) or would that make it worst?

i bleach about… 1-2 times a month, is that considered as ‘constant bleaching’?

i know this is a lot of enquiries but i have jst one more question, i was doing some research on permanent hair removal and there is a new method that has not been mentioned in the forum, its called ‘ELOS’ its supposed to be similar to IPL and lasor except it works on all skin type and color, what’s your take on it? and would you recommend it?
thanks again for the fast reply :slight_smile:

o! and would it make much of a difference to hair texture AND skin damage if i go to salons to bleach? or will the result be about the same?

Bleaching is bleaching no matter what location you do it in. The skin is insulted and irritated.

Here’s a thread from another forum that pertains to this as well.
Scroll down to Licensed Electrologist’s post as that’s where the good stuff starts.

http://www.cosmeticenhancementsforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6763&start=0

There are believers and dis-believers over these kinds of issues.

Dee

i bleached several areas for several years before i got permanent removal. if you think you will be removing the hair permanently, i still think it’s a good option. it was for me and i don’t regret it at all. i don’t think it changed the structure of my hair either.

i would suggest that you look into electrolysis btw. considering that a box of bleach costs $8 or so nowdays and that you can get that hair permanently removed with just a few treatments spaced over a year that would cost most likely under $300, i think it would be money well spent if it does bother you this much.

I’ve been bleaching (with sally hansen product) parts of my face for over fifteen years and never had a problem with it UNTIL over a year ago. I used a different bleach (nair) on my upper lip area (as I always did) and my skin got irritated and now looks a bit discolored (yellowish). I saw a dermatologist about it and they told me the skin pigmetation would repair itself over time. Make up helps even my skin tone out so I don’t think its that bad. I would recommend that you follow the instructions carefully and test an area of your face to see how your skin responds to it (especially if your switching products). A question for everyone else, I’ve stopped bleaching this area and now use hair removal creams (& tweezing at times). Do you think I should get this area cleared with electrolysis? I will ge getting electrolysis on my chin area (next month after my Dr. appt). I’m just worried that if I do my skin pigmentation will get worse. This is a question I will be asking the electrolysis on my first appointment to see what she recommends.

i would wait for pigmentation to go away until you get electrolysis there and i wouldn’t pluck, only shave or clip.