Best needle to buy?

What size/make of needle should I buy when upgrading from OneTouch-needle to a pro one? It will be used to clear male type beard.

A large number of pro’s (myself included) swear by solid state construction Ballet Gold Probes, others who like the more flexible two piece construction go with the Pro-Tec line, especially when looking for an insulated product. Both types are available through trusted electrology suppliers like Texas Electrolysis Supply 1-800-626-6025 and the Berkowits School of Electrolysis 1-800-526-9334.

Comfort and effectiveness at the lowest settings possible are achieved with the largest size probe that comfortably fits into the follicle. With good magnification that is a size 6 on most men and a size 4 or 5 on most women. Without good magnification, or if technique is lacking, a size 3 is probably going to be the most comfortable thing to work with.

[ January 25, 2004, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: James W. Walker VII, CPE ]

That does not resolve all my confusion.

The needles come in several different lengths, wich one shall I pick? Wich of Ballet or Pro-Tec is preferable when having got used to the one-touch? Is it best with blank or isolated needle for pure galvanics?

Exactly wich thickness is the best choise for general use?
The one-touch appears to be about size 5 and is sometimes hard to insert. I don’t know if that is because of lacking skill, too coarse needle or too rough end cut of it. Maybe a little of it all.

Probably a little bit of all of the above is true. So as stated above, you might want to go with a size 3 to compromise everything towards the middle. If one has a choice of long or short probes, I say go with the long ones.

I personally like the Ballet Gold Probes best.

There is still a few questions before I’m ready to place an order.

Is blank or insulated needles to prefere for pure galvanic electrolysis? It’s mainly beard underneath the cheek but also some yet remaining elsewhere in the face that shall be treated.

Does Pro-Tec needles, in special the insulated ones, resist sterilization by boiling as well as wiping with isopropanol despite they are marketed as disposable?

Thanks for all Your help! Best regards /MHK

i think i have the same problem about which needle to buy. i know that if i buy a long one, i can always cut it. but which would you recommend for Inverness One Touch electrolysis? insulated, stainless steel, most importantly, what size - i have no clue! :confused:

I am also having a similiar problem, I found an used electrolysis machine but the seller isnt sure if I would be able to get the needles.

where can I buy >disposable electrolysis needles", size F3> and for how much?

Its for this type of machine-
A.R.Hinkel Electro-Blend Electrolysis/thermolysis machine

Prestige Electrolysis For blend or thermolysis, the general guideline is to use a needle as large or larger than the hair. “3” is pretty narrow.

The wide range of OPINIONS posted here is a perfect example of the problem in our profession. Gold is used on electrical connections because it does not rust and this makes a better connection for cables on your stereo that are NOT changed on a regular basis. In electrology we change needles with every patient so the needles are “clean”. The manufacturers of gold needles do NOT MAKE ANY CLAIMS ABOUT THEIR NEEDLES THAT DIFFERS FROM THEIR OTHER NEEDLES BECAUSE THEY WOULD HAVE TO PROVE THIS TO FDA AND THEY CAN NOT.

The sebaceous material in EVERY follicle provides enough “lubrication” to allow any needle to slide in providing you have a good insertion.

Jesus, Harvey, we aren’t going to get into the gold versus stainless steel debate again, are we?

• Eric

there should be no thought to “resterilizing” a probe. one should be using disposeables and changing them every time.

many insulated probes are not good for galvanic and blend because the lye burns off the insulation material.

if you are doing blend or galvanic only electrolysis, you are probably best off choosing between stainless steel and gold.

Also, I would not take a long probe and cut it as discussed above. You just load the probe deeper in the probe holder if using a one piece, and insert less of the probe on a two piece. Cutting the probe would create a sharp jagged edge and you don’t want that, ESPECIALLY if you are not a pro.