Best method for kids?

Hello, i’d like to understand if anyone has any experience with any type of hair removal for kids?

For context, I’m a hairy guy. Comparable to someone like Pierce Brosnan or Alec Baldwin (unfortunately nowhere as good looking). My brother is equally hairy as well.
My parents had little body hair and my wife is asian (who typically have little body hair as well)

Unfortunately my daughter who is almost 4 now has hair on her arms, shoulders, back and legs. She was born with hair on her back that never went away.
She also has a bit of hair on her upper lip. A hormonal test was done and it was normal so it appears that she inherited my hirsutism. This was really distressing to me and I even came to tears once or twice thinking about what she’ll have to go through growing up.
It’s really put me off having any more kids as i can imagine the trauma she will face.

I’ve seen methods using tumeric with bread online but I really doubt they do anything. I’m leaning towards laser hair removal. I do understand that she is too young to be doing LHR, but wanted to see if anyone else has experience with handling this issue with kids?

1 Like

Hi, and sorry for the delay in responding. I am on vacation right now, but thank you for the question!

I am very sorry that you are concerned about your lovely child’s facial and body hair. Children in many parts of the world have these fine lanugo hairs when they are young. In some cases, they naturally reduce over time. In other cases, parents opt for hair removal options. For instance, Kim Kardashian’s child North and Madonna’s child Lourdes had significant facial and body hair as children. Madonna chose to leave it alone until her child was older, but it appears that Kim may have taken some cosmetic steps. In many cases, parents will leave it until the child asks about options.

For someone as young as your daughter, I recommend waiting until they are older. Some parents will do at-home temporary options like shaving, waxing, or threading for a child that age. Options like turmeric with bread probably won’t do a lot. Usually it is best to limit any options to the brows, or maybe upper lip. Many parents in your situation will do hair removal on themselves at the same time as their children if they choose to do something. I would talk to other women on your side of the family to see if they have thoughts or feelings about the best course of action. They may have memories or experiences that will be valuable guidance.

I hope you will lead with love with your beautiful daughter, and I wish we lived in a world where facial and body hair were not so stigmatized, especially for girls. And I absolutely hope this will not discourage you from having other children. Each one is a true blessing.

3 Likes

Thank you for your response and apologies for my late response to this thread as I was unwell for a bit.

As a parent, I’d exercise caution on doing anything immediately.
I like Andrea feel that in all likelihood this issue will resolve on it’s own. At three years of age your daughter is developing in many ways.
When and if your daughter has issue with this, there will be plenty of electrologists ready to eliminate any issue that exists at that time.
Dont sweat the small stuff, especially with those so young.
Seana

Thank you. Although i do see more hair on her entire arms, legs/thighs as time goes by, i’ll leave it alone for now. Hopefully it doesnt get worse as it’s already quite a lot for someone so young.