Beginnings

Hi Everyone,

I posted this in another thread but it’s a bit lonely there. Thought it would be better to put it here. I’ll leave a link to the old one though, if that’s okay. :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks everyone for the replies.

dfahey,

I checked out Benjiboy posts and I was surprised to find that he was seeing someone who I had been in contact with - Jennifer Clifton. I had been trying to find electrologists and I came across her website - seemed very convincing. The only problem is that I don’t have a lot of money and I have to travel quite far. I also read another UK poster that didn’t like the experience they had with her. I realise everyone can have different results but, because I don’t have a lot of money, and they’ll be working on mainly my face, I’m extremely cautious of who I pick.

bec1234,

I live near Newcastle, in Northumberland. I did see Helen Lloyd’s website while I was doing my search but I had no idea if they were good or not. I really don’t know. It does help, thanks. Have you noticed any difference in hair loss?

sweetangel2080,

I have looked up online yell pages but there aren’t many people listed. There are a lot of salons in my town who do them, but I get the feeling that they wouldn’t be that good.

beate_r,

Thanks for the link - I’ll check it out.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I’ve found a place in Durham called Finishing Touch. Has anyone heard of it? I got an email from them that I could post? I’m just not sure what to look for there seems to be so much to know. When it’s something so important you can get overwhelmed by it all.

I also remembering someone mentioning Pure Aesthetics Clinic, have they had any success with that place?

Apologies for all the questions and when I am finally able to go for treatment I will update everyone with how it went.

Edited by Hopeful&Worried (01/06/10 09:14 AM)

Here is the link to it, in case anyones’ interested :):

hey, its nice to know there is someone close by who shares my problem! Im in newcastle but down by the coast. I havent heard of the place in durham so i cant comment. Jenna Clifton is very experienced but i did not like my skin afterwards.

I tried pure asethetics in rotherham but decided it was to far away, the lady there called fiona was lovely and seemed really experienced.

At the minute i go to helen lloyd and im fairly happy here, i have not found anywhere better. I am definatly seeing hair loss, in fact over the past month or so ive seen dramatic improvements.

let me know how you get on, have a consultation with Helen Lloyd xxxx

Sorry for the delay! It is nice to know that there is someone near by who shares the same problem. :slight_smile:

I’m really really happy that you’ve seen dramatic improvements! :slight_smile: I was looking at their site and they seem to talk about skin care products. Did they try and get you to purchase any?

I’ve had this problem since, at least, I was a teenager, and it seems to be getting worse the older I get. I’m feeling really depressed about it and I’m nervous about my boyfriend seeing up close or touching me there. I have really soft, pale, possibly sensitive skin and it just makes things stand out more. :frowning:

I might not be able to get it done because it can cost so much, but it’s something that really bothers me, and I’m willing to try as hard as I can to see what I can do to get it. I just need to work out how often I’ll need it I guess.

Keep in touch. :slight_smile:

Hi I go to Fiona in Rotherham at Pure Aesthetics and she is lovely. I would say a year into my treatment I am over half way there. I am hoping another 6 months and I might be done. Would recommend her. Fiona also does electrolysis at the hospital in rotherham. Good luck with your journey.

Thank you Leo1,

Apologies for the belatedness! Rotherham is a bit out of the way, but if it’s good, I would make the effort. I think I’m going to try Helen’s first though, since it’s closest and I don’t have a lot of money. :blush: Wishing you all the best on your journey - keep us updated. :slight_smile:

bec1234,

I went to a consultation at Helen’s a couple months back. They asked if someone recommended them and I said ‘yes’. The only problem was I couldn’t tell them specifically who it was. They said they usually send a card and gift to them. I’m not sure if you feel comfortable telling me your name to pass on to them, or, perhaps, there is another way of doing it? Just wanted to let you know.

How are you getting on? I’m thinking of making an appointment - thinking I should start out with 15 or 20 minutes, as I can be quite sensitive to things. Who do you see there? Hope everything is going well for you. xxxx

I’m thinking of making an appointment very soon but I would like to know how I should prepare myself first.

Is there anything I should get beforehand?
I also read that your pores can appear bigger after getting it done - is this true?
I can be quite sensitive, so I thought, trying a 15-20 minute appointment would do, to see how it goes.
Also, how soon can I start using normal products on my skin again?

I’ll be doing this fortnightly as first.

Oh yes, and the biggy, I’ve been given Dianette to take, is this okay to take while getting it done?

I haven’t been thoroughly checked to find out the cause - could be anything - but I do want to take something to try and prevent new hairs from coming up. The only worry is that some people taking this stuff can have the opposite affect.

Not sure what to do…

I really want to make an appointment as soon as possible. I’ve had this for 15 years or so and looked into a lot of things. Now, is the best time for it. Hope someone can answer my questions. :slight_smile: :blush:

• Buy witch hazel and tea tree oil to use as aftercare

• No, pore size doesn’t change. It may look bigger to you without the hair there. It would have the same look as after waxing. Try it first if you want to see.

• Yes, the way to try out electrologists is to do a 15-min appt and see your skin reaction etc

• Don’t use anything with chemicals or makeup until the skin heals. Use witch hazel during the day and tea tree oil at night. It also depends on how sensitive your skin is. You’ll be able to tell after you start.

• Birth control and hormonal medication effects vary depending on the person. You won’t know until you try it yourself. You should see a good encorinologist if you want to know the cause of the growth.

• After you pick a good electrologist, you should schedule longer treatments so you can clear the entire area you want hairfree fast. Then you just come in to kill the new hairs that pop up.

Yes, the pore changes. If the treated hair is thick, the pore seems open for a few weeks. After this time, the pore is closed permanently and the appearance will be more uniform with the rest of the skin.

The way to test the work of your electrologist and the reaction of your skin, is asking to be treated all the hair in a small area in which most of the hair are present (100% is not possible). Wait a few months and check the treated area.

If you take Dianette, you should be aware of the serious risk of causing blood clots in the circulatory system, major depression (including panic attacks), loss of libido, etc … This substance is a hormone bomb and should not be taken for a long time, especially after 30 years of age. This pill will not prevent your hair system continue to grow. It will only be a mirage that disappears when you stop taking it and check that the hairs thicken quickly.

I’ve had reactions to witch hazel before. Not sure how tea tree oil would be like, is there anything more gentle, I have sensitive skin?

That’s really good that pore size doesn’t change. I’m worried that waxing will make the other finer hairs worse, just going to go ahead with it.

Good to know about the chemicals. I’ll leave them out till they heal. Would it be okay to put something like sunscreen on other parts of my face as long as I don’t touch the treated area?

I wish I could see a good endocrinologist. The GPs here seem so reluctant here to do anything. They keep telling me I probably don’t have anything. That’s fair enough but I’d like to have the tests to rule anything out. I was going to go for blood tests but bottled it as the GP’s reactions made me feel like I was being silly. Maybe I should keep at it though.

Thanks LAgirl you for your help. :slight_smile:

Yes, some of the hairs are thick, so that is really good to know, otherwise I might have panicked. :p:)

So the best way to tell is to treat one area at a time? Is that what you meant? I have left some places untouched for a few months, so that would be a good place to start?

Thanks about the Dianette warning. I’ve read up a lot about it. Some people have had really good reactions to it though. I’m quite all over the place as it is and seem really affected by my times of the month. I have thought about it for a long time, 5 or more years, about taking it. I thought it prevented most new hair from forming cause of it’s anti-androgen affect? I’d like to try something though because just being healthy isn’t working for me. I feel all over the place and I feel even worse since I lost weight too. It is a risky thing to try, but it’s a risk I might take, the fact that some people have had excess hair from trying it does worry me though. I know that might sound weird that that is what I’m most worried about. I am worried about the other things but this problem has really affected my health.

Thanks for helping depilacionelectr :slight_smile:

Yes, if you have an untouched area for a few months, this is ideal. These 15 minutes allow treat all visible hairs in 2 square inches of your skin, sufficient to produce a bald remain for the time of the time… if the electrologist is efficient. :wink:

Witch hazel is pretty gentle. There are various types. Some people have reactions to the drug store brand, but not to other brands. I would try a few and see. Tea tree oil is natural, but potent. Test it out on a small area first. You only need a tiny bit of it.

Yes, when we’re talking about not using chemicals, we’re talking only about the treated area. Everything else is fine. You want the treated area to heal fast and well, so only healing things should be used on it.

Clear as much hair as possible at once once you start real treatments. Just don’t retreat any area that haven’t yet healed from a previous treatment.

There are other things that control hormones like Yasmine and spiro. But that’s something a good doctor should decide, i.e. whether it’s necessary for you. Also, when it comes to hormonal medications, everyone’s reactions are different.

I’m not clear if you are currently taking Dianette (the translator fails me).

What I am trying to say is that you assume the risk taking cyproterone acetate (Dianette, Diane 35, Androcur) not worth it. If your endocrinologist has ruled out a hormonal disorder is because too much of your hair is genetic. For a healthy person, ingesting this pump is to alter hormonal body’s chemical balance.
The effect of this substance is to stop the emergence of new hairs and reduce the size of thick hair that you have today. As the months go by the reduction in the size of the hairs will be higher. But someday you’ll have to stop hormone therapy and will then verify that the problem has worsened. Fatten hairs suddenly (within months) and perhaps at the time of your life, solve them with the more complicated electrolysis.

I have witnessed this phenomenon too many times, and have struggled to warn of the harmful effects of this substance, so if I can avoid you to be one of the victims, I feel relieved.

Cyproterone acetate is what is given to sex offenders: rapists, pedophiles, etc. In many countries the freedom of these monsters is conditional upon the intake of this drug, by periodic urinalysis.

Please consider all my warnings before taking the decision and if you want to continue this futile action, get regular blood tests to check the status of your liver.

(I am very sensitive to this issue because my mother is one of the lucky ones who lives two years ago thanks to the generosity of the family of a donor liver. Spain is very generous and a leader in organ donations. This is one area which I am proud to be Spanish. I encourage everyone to make a living will to donate their organs.)

Personally, I prefer to work without the influence of this drug in the body of my clients. Although the doctor says protocol combination. The reason is that the failure of hormone therapy is interpreted by the client as a failure of the electrolysis.

Thanks for that, it was really helpful, I appreciate your advice. :slight_smile:

I’m going for a 2nd consultation (with another place) tomorrow and they will be doing a patch test to see how I handle it. I haven’t purchased any aloe vera, etc., yet - that was stupid of me - but I’ll try and get it tomorrow, either before or after my appointment. I’m wondering if it’s okay to have stuff on your face prior to treatment? What I mean is products like sunscreen etc, is it okay to have that on before? They’d probably clear your face with something before they start treatment, I would assume.

I’m not currently taking Dianette. I’ve got the prescription but I haven’t tried it yet. I’ve never seen an endocrinologist. I’ve only seen a GP, they hardly tried checking to see if I had a hormonal problem, or to check if anything else was the cause. :frowning: I would have liked to rule other things out but it’s so hard getting them to test anything.

So Dianette can make hair worse? I was hoping to stop new hairs from coming in. :blush: What do you think of the other pills, such as: Yasmin or spironolactone?

I thought the stuff they gave to rapists, etc., was a much stronger dosage? Still, it’s good to know these things.

I am taking your words into consideration. Thank you for your time and help. :slight_smile: I hope you can answer my other questions too.

Spiro won’t make things worse. Birth control pills react differently for different people. You won’t know until you try it.

I wouldn’t self-medicate though. Find a good endocrinologist and get appropriate tests done to make sure.

[color:#000099]“So Dianette can make hair worse?”[/color]

No, Dianette is not because the caliber of the hairs increases. The passage of time is really responsible.

Without the pill, hair thickening is progressive. With the pill, you are not aware of this change until you stop taking.
During the months you’ve been under the influence of this substance, has developed a hair thicker, but the temporary blockage of these synthetic hormones in the follicle obscures reality.

[color:#000099]What do you think of the other pills, such as: Yasmin or spironolactone?[/color]

More of the same, temporary effects that can affect your health.

[color:#000099]I thought the stuff they gave to rapists, etc., was a much stronger dosage?
[/color]

Yes, the dose is much higher, but in my opinion not enough to get rid of these barbarians.