BCP and Facial Hair

Please can someone advise.

I started taking BCP a month ago (just finished the 3 weeks of active pills). It’s microgynon 21 and is the combined pill. A Side effect can be decreased or increased facial hair.

As you can see from my signature, I’ve been having electrolysis for some time. I bleach my facial hair too, which I do every Sunday. Before electro and during the early days, by Friday my face would start looking grey due to the number of darker hairs making their appearance. More recently, especially as a result of my upper lip treatment, I can go longer without bleaching and it still looks fine. However, for convenience, I still generally do so on Sundays.

Since taking BCP I have felt that by Wed/Thurs my face has started looking ‘bad’ and I’ve noticed a lot more darker hairs than what’s usual by 3-4 days post bleach.

Then today, I happened to look in the mirror in the bathroom at work (something I try to avoid usually) and really thought my cheeks and chin looked so much more furry. This was especially noticeable at the edges (chin and jawline). Not more hair but it just seemed a lot longer.

Now here is my problem. Do you think I’m imagining these symptoms? Is 3 weeks too short a time for the hormones to affect my facial hair?

I really don’t know if I should quit now and not start the next pack at the end of the week or carry on until I know for sure but that might mean risking increased hair growth in reality.

Help! Am I being paranoid?

Birth control usually takes up to 4-6 months to affect hair growth so 3 weeks sounds a little too soon to have such a dramatic effect. If you were having headaches, cramps, etc that would be more likely to be caused by the BCP at this point.

Still, you know your body best so if you keep notice it getting worse in the next few weeks call your doctor and ask to stop or switch to another pill like Yaz or Yasmin which help with hair growth problems.

I agree with KLT55, it is too soon to have such an effect. Do you have PCOS ?

Thanks for your replies.

I don’t think I have PCOS - apart from increased facial hair I have no other symptoms of it. But I have never been tested.

Yes, I have been having the other typical side effects.

Logic tells me that 3 weeks is too short too. I’m scared to start the next pack though. I keep thinking, ‘if it does end up increasing my hair, i will undo all the electrolysis work i have been doing’.

I am seeing my electrologist on Saturday, after 4 weeks. I will ask her what she thinks :frowning:

Agreed too early to say also if hairs have already grown in certain areas they need tobe treated the pill will hopefully stop future grwoth off new hairs.

Hi spicegirl, the pill (or at least this one) can both increase or decrease facial hair.

Is there a reason that you chose this birth control pill over one that would help more with the hair? If there is a medical reason you discussed with your doctor, great. If not, whoever is prescribing the BCP should also be helping you with the hair.

jes - the way it works in the UK is quite different. you do not get such a say. i was prescribed microgynon as it’s the first pill they prescribe here. in the case of adverse effects the GP will look at prescribing another. i did have a long talk with her; i wanted a pill over any other methods and apparently microgynon is the one that most women do best on. in addition to this, my facial hair is not considered to be as a result of hormones, rather ‘normal’ for women of my ethnicity so that didn’t come into the equation.

apart from the first rocky 10 days of cramps and nausea, i seem okay with it now. i’m not sure i would want to try another unless i am absolutely sure if it is increasing facial hair or not… the only problem is having the guts to stick with it to make that call and risk it getting worse.

i suppose i could make an appointment and ask if i can try another that has absolutely no chance of increasing facial hair. if i’m okay on that (in terms of other side effects) then even better i guess.

Hi, well it’s been a while since I wrote the initial post.

I definitely think microgynon made my hairs grow quicker. I don’t think they increased but they were longer, which was especially noticeable along the jawline where they stick out beyond the frame of the face. I also now believe that 3 weeks is enough time for the hormones to affect hair growth and I will come on to that.

So I was on microgynon for about 5 months. I had my pill free week and forgot to restart as I was away for a conference. When I came back, I felt like a different person and it became clear to me how lethargic it was making me as well as loss of libido. So I decided to stop.

In the following weeks, my facial hair went back to ‘normal’. I think I was off the pill for 2-3 months.

My Dr. prescribed me Cilest to try instead. I was only on it for two months as it was causing my skin and eyes to become very dry. I was having to use artificial tears daily.

Again, a break for about two months as I was having an OP and was on antibiotics afterwards.

She then prescribed Yasmin, which is the first anti androgenic progesterone pill I’ve tried. It’s suited me well, with no problems yet, no even the bloating or increased appetite I got with the other two. After the first pack, I noticed the my hairs seemed shorter and were becoming less noticeable. I usually bleach once a week on Sunday and by then a lot of my hairs look dark. Since I’ve been on Yasmin, most of the hairs on my face and chest still appear blonde after a week. I just finished the second pack and now even my husband has been asking where my facial hair is disappearing to. I didn’t mention it to him before because I wanted to be sure if I was imagining it or not.

I haven’t really had any electrolysis in ages now.

My question: I’m going to see Josefa in September hopefully. Should I stop Yasmin a while before then so the hair resembles what it usually does, so that she can thin it out better? I never intended to take BCP for a long time and even if it’s helping with the hair I wouldn’t. I’d rather get it removed permanently. I’m also worried that it will come back worse if I stop. I know after coming off microgynon, it seemed to go back to ‘normal’, the problem now is that ‘normal’ is a lot worse than right now.

I’m going to see my Dr. and talk to her about what could be happening too.

There is something not clear to me, Stoppit. Is there any other reason to take the pill regardless of hair reduction?

birth control :slight_smile:
I only started taking it once I was married and it’s convenient at the moment but I don’t plan to use it as long term contraception.

You’re right Stoppit, the hair follicle is very sensitive to hormonal influences. We can not have a clear perspective regarding the follicles to be treated with priority. Science has not yet discovered why in the same area a few follicles develop more than others, producing a hair longer and thicker than others. Your hair problem has a genetic source and the reduction caused by the pill will be temporary. If your husband agrees, you should stop the pill to avoid unpleasant surprises after a few months when you suffer an increase of hairs in the area.