Balius' One Touch experience & modifications

The following was posted in the Mature Forum by Balius (Member 942). I have edited some content for the general audience board, because it’s a great report.
</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>
Upon receiving the One-Touch in the mail I had to give it a try. The first time was not working for me, and out of fustration I put the unit aside for a week. Refreshed and motivated I gave it another try and found sucess (long term sucess still not determined yet). I find that I can treat 30 to 40 hairs per hour which sounds slow but the galvanic process is a slow one. Over the last ten days I have treated myself on four different days for three hours at a time. After three hours my neck and back start to hurt as one tends to stare intently when working […].

So far the side effects have been only a small amount of redness and minor tenderness around the treated hair folical for a day or two, very similar in nature to laser treatments. […] Most of the time I feel only a mild burning or discomfort that last for a few seconds.

Things I have found for me are;

1. Current needs to be applyed for about 20 to 60 seconds per hair with the unit set at 7 out of 10. Any less and the hairs are still firmly rooted.

2. Having a warm shower or bath prior to treatment helps to open up the pores making insertion easier, plus the added moisture in the folicle gives you a better chance of generating the necessary chemical reaction to kill the hair.

3. The 9V battery does not last very long, with me getting about 4 to 5 hours before the voltage drops to far to treat effectively. To this end I have modified the unit to use a wall pluged 9V transformer. I only recommend this if you know what the risks are. The consistent voltage with the transformer means that I set the unit power once and I am good to go until I tire for the day.
    (ed. note-- those without electrical knowledge or seeking a safer option can use a rechargeable battery kit, which can pay for itself quickly if you are using your device a lot.)

4. Pitting of the conductive part of the handpiece occurs very fast (few hours) If this bothers you I suggest you look into the web sites that describe how to modify the unit to use a momentary switch and conductive band around the ankle. I figure that I am doing such a small area of my body that I will finish long before the pitting renders the unit ineffective.

5. I also modified my unit by removing the fixed metal guard that exists at the tip through which the probe comes through. This guard is most likely there for a reason so I recommend caution. For me almost all of my hairs are deeper then the probe could extend in stock configuration, so removal of the guard was necessary to gain that extra 1/8 inch of probe length.

6. Whether from long term plucking or nature a lot of my […] hair folicles are curved which makes insertion of the probe down to the hair bulb very tough. I have found if I insert the probe part way in and then engage the current for a second or two this causes the folicle to straighten a fair amount there-by making full insertion to the hair bulb easier.
    Well hope this info helps some of you out there who are interested in trying this type of hair removal treatment. I will report back on effectiveness and other observations in a few weeks.

Take care
Chris </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>

[ November 26, 2002, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]