Bad Painful Bumbs on Neck After Shaving

Hi,

If you can help me you’re my hero. I’ve been reduced to shaving with a mustache trimmer for years because anything that gets closer leaves the most painful bumbs (some with puss) on my mid to lower neck area. Everywhere else is fine. I’ve tried everything - mach 3, fusion, shaving with the grain, against the grain, all types of electric razors, pre shave cream, post shave cream, electric shave…the list goes on.

Can someone please tell me the way to shave and not get these painful bumps! Should I try one of those hair removal creams on that portion of my neck? If so which one?

I’m white, my facial hair is not particularly coarse, and I don’t believe they are doing that ingrown thing. Seems more like simple trauma if anything gets too close to the skin and starts cutting. But again, it’s only on my mid to lower neck. Totally no problem on my jaw, chin, or face. Please help!!!

Those bumps are PFB bumps, caused by ingrown hairs. The hair either turns after growing out of the follicle and grows backward into the skin adjacent the follicle, or grows into the skin as it exits the follicle.

People of certain ethnic backgrounds and skin types are especially prone to them, especially people of color or people of Mediterranean decent. I know, because I have the same problem.

The only topical treatment I found that works is Tend Skin and some have had luck with a homemade formula (you can find it here) or some of the Tend Skin knock-offs. Even then, your results can vary. Tend Skin helped me to a degree, but not enough to justify the rather high cost.

There are strong depilatory powders marketed toward black men for this very problem (“shaving powder”?), though you can really burn yourself with that stuff, much worse than Nair etc. I have been told. The warnings on the container scared me away :sick:

In my opinion, the best way to deal with them is to have them permanently removed with electrolysis (or laser if you are a good candidate, laser cured 90% of the PFB bumps my neck after 2 treatments, even though the hair was far from being completely removed).

Thanks VickieCNY

My hairs grow sort of sideways into my skin before popping out. That’s the problem I think because I’m white and my hair isn’t curly and it’s not even very coarse.

Have you heard about the Bump Fighter Razor? Does anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks!