Bad medical advice

I saw a dermatologist this morning for my melasma and PIH. It was a horrible experience. She told me so many upsetting things:

-I should stop electrolysis
-Electrolysis is not a permenant hair removal method (even laughed at me when I said it and said "did your electrolygist Actually tell you that?’)
-Said tweezing would be less traumatic on my skin and said there was no way I had PIH from tweezing
-wrote me a script for Vaniqua and told me it would be more effective than electrolysis.
-pressed me about any progress "do you even see it working?’ I’ve only had six hours/five months of treatment. Said she doesn’t recommend it because it takes a long time.

This dermatologist came highly recommended by my PCP and has been practicing for 30 years. I feel like I’ve had the rug pulled out from me.

Send her a link to one of my videos. Maybe the one on underarms? Doctors often think they know everything. The good ones assume nothing and are always ready to learn.

1 Like

Electrolysis ALWAYS works.

Unfortunately,this is a common reaction from medical professionals in North america. A little scary when you think about what ELSE they are wrong about isnt it?

If they have a google page, it’s worth leaving a review of their practise with information on what they told you that was incorrect , and links to information that contradicts their erronious opinions. Others will know not to bother with them.

1 Like

Okay, I’m in a fighting mood. Send me the address of this dermatologist. Does he or she have a financial interest in laser?

I don’t want to put her name out there BUT I am going to give it to my electrologist and tell her all about the appointment via email when I get a chance. I’m still so upset about it. I wouldn’t recommend the Derm to anyone. Horrible bedside manner.

This is strange. I would’ve thought all dermatologists would be aware of electrolysis, but clearly this one has no idea. Usually, if you ask a doctor about permanent hair removal, they will suggest laser and/or electrolysis.

Some electrologists are guilty of spreading misinformation as well. While perusing the web, I came across a practitioners website that stated the following: “______'s ethics is why she uses the Electrolysis Blend Method usually because it has the highest hair kill ratio.”

Is it incorrect information though? Actually Blend has an excellent kill rate. That said though , at least in my work, thermolysis gives a better efficiency. So while in an hour I might be able to treat 350 hairs with an 85% kill rate, this is still less hairs than killing 900+ at a slightly lower kill rate. When taken at the ratio of number of hairs killed/treatment time thermolysis comes out well ahead.

In 38 years, I have never found one modality to be more effective than another. I spent years chasing modalities and machines looking for the magic bullet to no avail. Effectiveness is 100% dependent on the skill of the electrologist.

Hairs plays an important role how you look and feel with Hair Transplantation Clinic Islamabad & Rawalpindi Twin City.
https://www.skncosmetics.com/hair-transplant-islamabad/

A derm we saw for my daughter suggested laser and not electrolysis for her face too. My daughter’s hair is very dense, soft, fine and light coloured. I cannot imagine the nightmare we could start by putting laser onto this. I questioned her and said that surely laser was best for darker, coarser hair but she refused to hear of it pretty much. Couldn’t suggest anyone anywhere for us and I felt a little bit poo poohed for suggesting what I think she considered a very old fashioned method! She’s a highly respected derm in our town so it was surprising. Laser is just considered the answer to everything hairy at the moment I think .

Oh, my. Don’t listen to her. Poor dear, she just doesn’t know what she is talking about.

I am currently working on a teenager and several women that were absolutely devastated and depressed by all the hair that laser stimulated on their face and neck. It will take many hours to clean the mess up, but we will win, as a team over the next 9-18 months. Electrolysis is the savior. It is the only plan that will work.

1 Like

Im looking forward to the end result for my daughter too. Its devastating at 12 to be so damn hairy all over! Especially the face! Comments just cut to the core at any age but I feel these early years and kids comments are very cruel. Its these comments which motivate her through hours and hours of work on the face.

Latest bloods have shown up a high DHEA-S level but even though its out of range its still considered “normal” for her age and for someone entering puberty apparently. So whys it high? Seems a bit odd to me. Ive insisted on an endo appointment to cover all bases as Im wondering whether that has something to do with the hairiness.

Thanks Dee.

Sounds like it could be Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome to me, but I’m not a doctor I’m a nurse. I think you should go back to your PCP and get a referral to an endocrinologist. If she does indeed have this, hairiness is not the only problem she could be facing. Conceiving children (in her future obviously) may be more difficult. I don’t know if they can make that diagnosis though at her age. Has she started her periods? Birth control pills are often used to help with PCOS and often all that is needed.

Thanks TSTimmi. That was my non professional dr google diagnosis too. Dr def won’t make the call on that yet but I did ask for an endo referral (again). Determined to get to the bottom of this. Cycle as predictable as it can be at 12. I just refuse to accept the hairiness as genetic. There must be an under lying issue here. Very frustrating.

Hello Fairygirl,
When you take your daughter to the endocrinologist, please remember to
ask him/her about the possibility of ‘Cushings Syndrome.’

The internet is amazing: we’re strangers on opposite sides of the planet and
I find myself thinking about you and your children.

Best wishes,
The Dowager

Thanks Dowager.

I appreciate your help.

I’ll be leaving no stone unturned so will definitely mention that.

Hi Fariygirl,
How is your daughter doing? I wanted to ask you an indelicate question about your daughter’s weight. Is she obese or overweight? The reason I ask is there is a strong correlation between insulin resistance and PCOS --Timmi