Avoid Neosporin - do you agree?

My chin had been hurting as if I had a pimple that I could not see, so I told my electro that.
She advised that I should switch from witch hazel to just plain rubbing alcohol and discontinue use of Neosporin cream because Nesporin is anti-bacterial, and will desensitize my skins to any anti-bacterial even if I use it for 2 days every week a few times a day. Similar concept to using Antibiotics too often.

She also said that new research has shown that the old belief that Neosporin reduces scarring is not really true.

So she advised I allow my skin to heal itself, just keep it very clean and not touch it.

Can any of you validate this info or give your input if it isn’t right?

not sure. i use tea tree oil and witch hazel. sometimes aloe vera.

I would agree with her, but if the alcohol is too drying on your skin, then try witch hazel. I like Thayers witch hazel products. I don’t like too many medicants for aftercare - keep it simple, as your skin will usually heal just fine.

Neosporin is a triple antibiotic that comes as cream or ointment. It can irritate the skin in sensitive people. It contains Bacitracin, Neomycin and Polymixin. Neomycin is the ingredient that can cause the problem in sensitive people. If your skin gets really red after you use Neosporin, then discontinue use. Also, Neosporin ointment is a pore clogger (bumps) containing ingredients like white petroleum, cocoa butter, cottonseed oil, olive oil. It would be better to switch to a double antibiotic cream like Polysporin and also use 100% aloe Vera GEL. Just nix out the neomycin ingredient and you’ll be fine.

As far as scar prevention goes, Neosporin does nothing for old scars but would be useful for those not allergic to the neomycin ingredient for healing a new irritation. I’m referring to larger wounds, not electrolysis. I don’t think you need topical antibitiocs after electrolysis unless your skin is prone pustule formation. If you do need topicals just go with a double antibiotic cream like Polysporin. Usually, dabbing with witch hazel and using a quality aloe vera gel and tea tree oil at night would be better in my opinion because they keep the area cleansed, soothed and moist,too.

Oh, and don’t worry about choosing to buy Neosporin over Polysporin. Pfizer makes both so they will get their due profit either way you choose to buy.

I would agree with her, but if the alcohol is too drying on your skin, then try witch hazel. I like Thayers witch hazel products. I don’t like too many medicants for aftercare - keep it simple, as your skin will usually heal just fine.

Neosporin is a triple antibiotic that comes as cream or ointment. It can irritate the skin in sensitive people. It contains Bacitracin, Neomycin and Polymixin. Neomycin is the ingredient that can cause the problem in sensitive people. If your skin gets really red after you use Neosporin, then discontinue use. Also, Neosporin ointment is a pore clogger (bumps) containing ingredients like white petroleum, cocoa butter, cottonseed oil, olive oil. It would be better to switch to a double antibiotic cream like Polysporin and also use 100% aloe Vera GEL. Just nix out the neomycin ingredient and you’ll be fine.

As far as scar prevention goes, Neosporin does nothing for old scars but would be useful for those not allergic to the neomycin ingredient for healing a new irritation. I’m referring to larger wounds, not electrolysis. I don’t think you need topical antibitiocs after electrolysis unless your skin is prone pustule formation. If you do need topicals just go with a double antibiotic cream like Polysporin. Usually, dabbing with witch hazel and using a quality aloe vera gel and tea tree oil at night would be better in my opinion because they keep the area cleansed, soothed and moist,too.

Oh, and don’t worry about choosing to buy Neosporin over Polysporin. Pfizer makes both so they will get their due profit either way you choose to buy.

I have had good results with Aquaphor. My electrologist used it on my chest and armpits. It cuts down on scabbing and besides it feels good too.

FWIW I have trouble with dry nose and Neosporin caused irritation and bleeding. Aquaphor works much better!

RJC2001

Neosporin has a high number of people who are allergic to it, including myself. If I put it on healthy skin, I will start to have oozing plasma coming out of it before the day is done.

Keep it simple. Keep it clean, dry, and use safe natural products where ever you can.

The one I use is called Neosporin + Pain relief and is a cream. It contains Neomycin sulfate, Polymyxin B Sulfate and Pramoxine Hydrochloride. It really does help to relieve the feeling of soreness in the couple hours after treatment and it did seem like the scabs healed in a week instead of two if I used it… but I was concerned about the overuse of antibiotic analogy that my electrolgist gave me.

Reading the comments, I am thinking that the feeling of having the pimple after a couple of days of the treatment might even be caused by reaction to this neosporin.

So considering there may be more harm than benefits, I will discontinue use. Thanks to all for the input.

I almost always use Neosporin on my upper lip, which inevitably breaks out in a few little pustules post electrolysis (though, they tell you not to use anything with vaseline near your nose…you can inhale it over a long period of time, and get a build up in your lungs that is very dangerous.) It doesn’t bother my skin in any way. For the rest of my face, I usually use Aloe gel. I find that I need to keep the skin moist to prevent any little bumps from forming. However, when I still had a lot of hair and had marathon sessions, I would sometimes use Calomine Lotion on the really red, swollen areas.

What works best for me is to apply a light coat of Neosporin, then smear on some hydrocortisone with aloe over that. Works like a charm. I just let the skin breathe and keep it clean. I do want to try the tea tree oil. Seems like tea tree extract is in everything nowadays.

Mantaray

If I put any petroleum jelly product on my face I would break out. It is very clogging. I have adult acne which I control by following the “clear skin regimen” on Acne.org. In uses benzoyl peroxide gel and moisturizer, which together is not drying or irritating to my skin and kills bacteria. It’s just an idea.

I’ve been in home health for 16 years and what James advises is correct!
air/light (not the sun)
clean/dry
This even works for people with huge bed sores.
Also keep your hands clean!!!
Let’s face it.The Electrologist says don’t touch the treated area and what is the first thing we do???
That’s right we touch it!!!