Attack on women that shave

If any HairTell readers would like to comment on this article and its not so funny “man”, please do!

Courant.com

My Two Bits On Women Shaving Their Faces

Jim Shea

June 16, 2012

I’ve been reading where more women are removing hair from their faces by shaving.

This reminds me of the old line: “The joint was so tough the hat check girl’s name was Dominic.”

I make this association because I went to a grammar school that was so tough the first kid in our class to shave was a girl.

I can’t remember her name, nor do I know if she eventually went into the hat-check field.

When it comes to dealing with hair on their faces, women have traditionally opted for such approaches as waxing, tweezing, bleaching, creaming, lasers, and electrolysis (which I believe is a form of electrocution).

Shaving has never been a popular choice with women, mainly because of the belief that it will make hair grow back thicker and darker. And what woman wants to end her day having to worry about five o’clock shadow?

As it turns out, experts say shaving doesn’t make hair grow back thicker or darker (only hormones can do that), and that shaving can also be an anti-aging procedure because it is a form of exfoliation, what ever that is.

To be honest, I’m kind of resentful of the idea of women taking up shaving.

Shaving has always been a rite of passage for men.

You watched your father do it, and then when he wasn’t around you lathered up one day and tried it yourself … without the blade if you were smart.

Then at some point, the peach fuzz grew fuzzy enough to warrant scraping, and a grown-up grooming ritual was born.

If you are of the baby-boom generation, you also paid your shaving dues in nicks and scratches and little bits of bloody toilet paper plastered all over your face.

And let us not forget the first time you splashed after-shave lotion on your still raw cheeks. That was the day you learned first hand that, yes, there is crying in shaving.

Of course, today’s razors are so good they completely remove the fear factor. I mean, you can shave in the dark, in the car, in the shower, even in the bag, and never have to worry about needing a transfusion.

And that grammar school classmate of mine, the preeminent shaver? Come to think of it, her name might have been Dominic.

I can see how he, and lots of other people, would find that funny. What this guy probably doesn’t realize is that either his wife, sister or daughter has been a closet shaver/tweezer for years.

Most women with facial hair become very adept at camoflouaging (can never get the spelling on that one correct!) their problem, and the angst and embarrassment is hidden as well so nobody thinks twice about poking fun. (I’m only surprised he didn’t name the girl in his class Voula, Yasmin, Olga or some other name associated with an ethnic group that typically has hair issues) But THAT would have been offensive I guess.

This guy sounds like a typical insensitive jerk. I mean how many women would write an article about men’s hairy ears, noses and bums and call THAT humour?

I actually like men so it’s unfortunate there are so few of them around. Middle-aged adolescents run amok though. :wink: