Are the highest settings the best?

I just recently went to a different electrologist than I normally go to due to some scheduling issues (for the brazilian area). At the new place, I found the process starkly more painful. When I asked about it, she let me know that she could lower the settings but she has it that high so she can “kill the hair the first time” and insinuated that my previous place may be nothing more than overpriced plucking. I guess my question is — is there merit to this?

The injuries to my skin were a lot more severe after seeing her. I noticed what looked like pools of blood beneath the skin that eventually formed into scabs, much bigger than the pinpoint scabbing I experienced previously.

While I want to make sure I am getting my moneys worth with electrolysis, I also don’t want to experience an unnecessary amount of pain and trauma to the skin if it really is not even necessary. I would love to hear other experts opinions on this. Thank you!

It’s true that lower settings can result in plucking. It’s also true that higher settings can result in more significant skin reactions. The energy should be the minimal required to treat the follicle successfully.

Everyone’s understanding of skin reactions is different, so we would need to see pictures of the treated area to understand if it’s reasonable or not.

1 Like

You should never develop pools of blood if that’s what is happening. If hair slides out and you don’t feel any plucking or resistance then there is no under treatment.

1 Like