Are all hairs supposed to shed in a area if there are no missed spots?

If a area of the body, like the male back, is covered in a LHR-treatment, are all hairs in that area supposed to shed and one become totaly hair less for a period of time? It seems like this is what most people experience, a period of total hair removal before the normal regrowth occurs.

Also, what can you do if your skinn is really sensitive to shaving?
After a get my body shaved at the clinic before treatment my skin looks realy bad in some places, especially my back and the back of my upper arms. I get big pimples on my back and redness in many places - it’s just nasty and it seems like the skin never heals.

Yes, all treated hair is supposed to shed and you should have a hairfree period for a few weeks before the new batch starts growing in, the hair that was dormant before.

Make sure that they shave with a new razor and with shaving cream and water. Also, better to soak the skin before shaving to avoid irritation. Then use aloe vera for several days after the treatment to heal the skin.

You can use Tend Skin after shaving (and after laser) to reduce irritation and prevent ingrowns.

RJC2001

All hairs should shed but there is always the chance that there were some dormant hairs that hadnt returned from your last treatment, But the main thing should be that they are finer than the hairs that were previously there. Even the best techs will miss a few small areas but I find that after several treatments overall all areas should have been zapped and be finer than before. If you decide that is your last treatment you can go back and get touchups a couple weeks after but the hair will always grow back, it is impossible to become hairless when using laser and ipl treatments but the main point is that the hair has been reduced and is much finer. 6 months after the final treatment all the small bits that were missed should just blend in with the hairs that do eventually grow back but look much lighter in colour and width which gives an overall look of less hair, not hairless. If you havnt noticed an overall reduction then it is a good idea as you have done to try a different laser at a different setting.

So what does laser hair removal do? Does it just make your hair appear finer or will it make some of your hair completely disappear?

The results I get generally mean the hairs become much finer, some of the dark terminal hairs are reduced into almost invisible vellus hairs. Depends what you mean by completely disappear? but that is only what seems to happen to me.

if the right settings are used and your hair is treated properly, the hair is supposed to get killed and disappear. I have complete baldness where the hair was treated.

For my face treatments, I get only partial shedding in patchy areas. MOST of the dark hair appears unaffected, even though I am sure that the LHR coverage was just as well applied to all areas of my face (she is very careful using grid lines). Therefore, I do not suspect operator error (as in “missed” areas), but rather that my hair does not respond well. I have heard other folks get a “patched” appearance on the male face as well. Do you think the LHR salon should still provide a make-up treatment in this case? Thx.

certain hairs/areas need higher settings than others to produce results. if the hair is not shedding, they need to up the settings. 16 joules is pretty low.

For my face treatments, I get only partial shedding in patchy areas. MOST of the dark hair appears unaffected, even though I am sure that the LHR coverage was just as well applied to all areas of my face (she is very careful using grid lines). Therefore, I do not suspect operator error (as in “missed” areas), but rather that my hair does not respond well. I have heard other folks get a “patched” appearance on the male face as well. Do you think the LHR salon should still provide a make-up treatment in this case? Thx.

I don’t think the alexandrite is appropriate for the male beard. The Nd:YAG seems to be best. The hair is so dense there the practitioner has to be really careful and the incidence of side effects is greater in the beard area. The YAG has the least side effects. The diode laser can also be used but, at least for me, the pain was incredible. The YAG hurts too, but not as much.

The fluence has to be turned down so low on the alex laser that I don’t think it does much good on the beard. I can’t see 16J doing much at all, and that has been your experience.

RJC2001