Apogee, Light Sheer, or Comet?

I’m researching different options and am really getting mixed reviews of these three lasers. The group that uses the Apogee claims the Diode (Light Sheer & Comet) lasers aren’t effective or safe. From what I’ve read it seems the Alexandrite lasers (Apogee) don’t have the best results. The group that uses the Comet and Light Sheer are cheeper than the other with 2 years of free follow ups after the first year of treatment. I’m looking for personal experience.

I’m researching different options and am really getting mixed reviews of these three lasers. The group that uses the Apogee claims the Diode (Light Sheer & Comet) lasers aren’t effective or safe. From what I’ve read it seems the Alexandrite lasers (Apogee) don’t have the best results. The group that uses the Comet and Light Sheer are cheeper than the other with 2 years of free follow ups after the first year of treatment. I’m looking for personal experience.

The alexandrite laser can be effective for light skin and dark hair. If you have type III skin or darker there is an increased risk of side effects. The group you mention that has the Apogee is lying about the diode lasers. They are actually safer for skin types III and IV. The diode lasers penetrate the hair follicle more deeply, and in my experience are more effective for finer hairs.

The main problem with the Apogee is that it breaks down frequently, which can be very aggravating and inconvenient. If it happens enough it will slow down your treatments.

My first choice would be the Comet, 2nd would be the Lightsheer. If you have light skin and dark hair the Lightsheer would tie with the Comet. I am surprised that the place with the Comet has cheaper rates. The Comet is a very expensive machine!

RJC2001

Hey RJC, I just now came back from my third legs and abs. It seemed to hurt more this time, but it was the same powers. I informed him of my results and he said it was along the lines of what the others treated at his clinic have experienced. As a practitioner, he’s very happy with the Comet. The bad part though is, one of his nurses who he spent a lot of time training to use the Comet, up and quit, and now is the primary Comet practioner at another San Diego clinic that uses it as well. So now, until he gets a new nurse trained, the appointments are more difficult to get.

He’s been setting the RF at 40. But, now in following visits, he’s going to start treating at 20 Joules laser/ 50RF in meaty areas, 12 Joules laser/ 50RF in bone areas. Hopefully that will have a bigger impact on my abs. This session was delayed past the six week mark by 20 days because of my tonsils coming out and my schedule, so I hope I was still able to catch the following wave of hair growth with a good dose. He didn’t get the feet (toes) as thorough as I’d like. He actually got an arc on my left instep (blister) then just kind of didn’t want to be in the area any more. It was unlike him. He apologized, and I know he’s better than that. It was actually me talking my mouth off and distracting him a little too much. The practitioner threw in some extra bikini/groin area work to kind of make up for it, which was good. I go back September 20th, for either back/abs or back/beard, I haven’t decided yet. I’ll keep you up on it.

Kitte, RJC is a pretty knowledgeable person when it comes to laser treatments. Many people come here with speculation and unproven thoughts, but RJC speaks from a position of true experience. His advice has never let me down. But just to add: As you know, the Lightsheer is a diode laser, but the Comet is a diode laser with a powerful follical killing Radio Frequency combined with it. There are earlier versions of mixing laser with RF (the Polaris?) but they alternate the bursts of each at a slower rate so the effect isn’t as synergistic, that is, the laser and RF on earlier models didn’t boost each others effect as much. The Comet alternates RF and laser far more rapidly, so it destroys the follicals better.

My practitioner says there’s a new one better than the Comet in development right now. He says he’s getting word from the people at Syneron about it. I’m anxious to see what the future holds.

Happy Experiences,

Mantaray

Thanks RJC for your input. Sona MedSpa has the Apogee and says the Diodes aren’t so great but from what I’ve read here it doesn’t seem that many people are happy with Sona. I’m going with Lifestyle Center instead who has the Light Sheer and Comet. I have light olive skin and dark brown hair so it sounds like either would be ok.

Here’s another concern… The Lifestyle Center only has one Comet and it doesn’t sound like you can make an appointment based on which laser you prefer- something I need to find out more about. Is it bad to use different lasers throughout the treatment or should I just opt for the Light Sheer so I know that I will have the same treatment?

Thanks RJC for your input. Sona MedSpa has the Apogee and says the Diodes aren’t so great but from what I’ve read here it doesn’t seem that many people are happy with Sona. I’m going with Lifestyle Center instead who has the Light Sheer and Comet. I have light olive skin and dark brown hair so it sounds like either would be ok.

Here’s another concern… The Lifestyle Center only has one Comet and it doesn’t sound like you can make an appointment based on which laser you prefer- something I need to find out more about. Is it bad to use different lasers throughout the treatment or should I just opt for the Light Sheer so I know that I will have the same treatment?

That’s a good sign that one place has both the Comet and the Lightsheer. Since your hair is brown not black, I may have slight preference for the Comet. Both are diode lasers but the Comet has RF also. The RF helps treat hair that is less than an ideal target. The Lightsheer does have higher fluences up to 60J and very long pulse widths of 100-400ms so it can be used effectively on your skin and hair type also if the practitioner is skilled. The Comet goes up to 50J which is high enough for most people.

Some Sona laser centers also have Nd:YAG lasers which are preferable for darker skin.

Since you are the paying customer you should get your choice of lasers, but both are very good. You may have to wait longer for a Comet appointment because it is the latest and greatest. Are you going to have a consultation and test spot done with them.

RJC2001

Sonas vary by location. depends on the techs etc at a specific location.

I suggest you make sure your skin is lighter than a type IV since you say it is olive color. Check the Fitzpatrick chart. If it is type IV or darker, you will be better off with a Yag laser to prevent possible burns to your skin at levels high enough to actually kill the hair.