Apilus SX-500 vs. Pure Platinum for DIY'er

My understanding is that the major difference between the two is that one functions on 13.56 mHz and the other on 27 mHz - and that the Platinum features faster varieties of thermolysis/blend methods - is that correct?

For a DIY’er - which of the two offers greater protection from scarring (depressed, raised scars, pigmentation)? Does the mHz level have any relation to scarring levels?

Note that at this point only galvanic and blend will be used. Therefore, is 27mHz w/ Galvanic/Blend any more safe than 13.56 mHz w/ galvanic/blend?

Also - What is the benefit of options such as Omniblend, Multiblend etc? are they not merely blends with different ratios of galvanic/thermolysis?

And what is Multiplex/Syncro, etc?

I don’t know the answers to you questions but I’ll be very interested to hear the answers since I have been eying Apilus machines as they appear on ebay. I know this though. The frequencies available for these devices are regulated by the FCC so they do not interfere with communication channels. 13.56 MHz is a standard industrial (medical and non-medical) frequency for all kinds of heating applications including plasma machines that make transistors. 27 MHz is just a higher frequency (twice as high). In thermolysis it may have a different heating pattern and the current flow may be better (lower capacitive impedance) or it may just be specs-man-ship. I doubt anyone from Aplilus will post and tell us why 27 MHz is better in their opinion but it will be interesting to see what we do get.

I did some quick digging. I found this blurb from dectro that explains why they feel 27 MHz is better.
http://www.aestheticssystems.com/radio-frequency.htm

In it, they claim that 27 MHz is absorbed better. This appear to be true. The dielectric loss factor in biological materials is about twice as high at 27 MHz as it is at 13.56 MHz. This means that for a given current, twice as much heat will be produced in a given time. As I said before, I also think that more current will flow because the capacitance impedance will be less. More current plus more loss factor equals faster heating. I think the idea behind the flash methods is that the coagulation temperature is reached before the nerves figure out the temperature has pulsed up. Hence, less sensation for the subject. Also, faster heating will also localize the heating since the heat flows from high temp to low temp. If you heat slower, a deeper area of tissue will be heated before the layers you care about reach the coagulation temp.

So i think I understand the argument. Of course the only thing that matters is the experience with actual use. If all this is true and works as claimed, one wonders why all the epilators have not switched to 27.12 MHz since this is a standard ISM band and available to all equipment makers.

It seems that 27.12 MHz is commonly used in other forms of medical diathermy machines.

As I have understood, the European Union does not allow the production of machines (27Mhz) European manufacturers for aesthetic use, and since in most European countries Electrology has aesthetic purposes…

This nonsense is fun, electrologists Europeans can work with 27Mhz, but the machines must be imported, someone understands?
On the other hand, if this frequency is reserved for machines of medical use, why French dermatologists have not upgraded their equipment?

Regarding the differences between the two frequencies, I agree, coagulation occurs much earlier, less affected surrounding tissue, less pain, but I do not agree that the 27Mhz are responsible for obtaining better results. This does not depend on the amount of “Hz”, but the quality of the practitioner’s hands.

That said, I take this opportunity to thank Dectro their effort and dedication in improving equipment that make us improve the quality of our work.

Historically, the first use of 27 megahertz (at least my own experience) was a unit made by Wally Roberts about 1979 (Proteus company). It was a “super-flash” with 27 mHz. Hinkel also experimented with the various frequencies. I remember him telling me that he was “unhappy” when the FCC assigned specific frequencies to our units (for communication purposes only). Hinkel said that he thought 1.8 megahertz was the best (a “nicer heating effect”) and that the "higher you go, the more ‘cutting’ effect takes place.) There is always a historical basis for “the latest development.” I’ll bet none of you know why the FCC decided to assign frequencies? It’s a WWII story with German spys; all the elements for a mini-series.

I thought the FCC assigns frequencies so one type of service does not interfere with another type of service. ISM devices would emit large bursts of radio waves since their power is not restrcted and would interfere with any communication service using the same frequency. Here is an example: One of the ISM bands is the 2.4 GHz used by microwave ovens but the FCC also allows unlicensed transmission in this band for wireless routers and wireless phones. I had one of those wireless phones for a while and if I used it near my laptop, the computer would lose its internet connection.

I’d love to hear German spy story

Dear Mike :two_hearts: :revolving_hearts:,

I wish you were still here. Now who are going to help me debate this as good as you ever did.

Can anyone please help correct me if I’m wrong with this? Beauty, Laser & Electrolysis Permanent Hair Removal: Light from My Understanding

Mike! Love you always,
Nora

Lets take this one step further Nora. Could you imagine the violent collisions that would occur if light were composed of particles and they collided perpendicularly along the same plane? Light travels much faster than any particle ever could. Instead you may see some interaction of the wave partterns where they intersect dependant on light temperature or phase, but no violent explosions, and further the wave pattern continues along its direct path seemingly unaffected. This behaviour directly contradicts the particle theory.

I miss him too. He was a fantastic help around here, often thoroughly destroying client concerns before I even got my kids on the bus in the morning or made my coffee. I’d be in a 1 hour appointment, and in that time he would put 3-4 different people at ease with their electrolysis concerns, before I ever even saw the posts.I cant possibly express how grateful I am for all the guidance he provided me over the years and all the help he gave here. I have to stop, cause I havent stopped crying every time I think about it over the last few weeks and it’s interfering with my ability to cope and do my job.

1 Like