ANYONE have longer term stories? People who've done laser for 1.5ys ? tia.

I wouldn’t mind doing laser for 5 years straight if i had to on an area that is extremely coarse and causes me great self-conscious. I’ve been through electrolysis, but don’t want to do that in this area, so if i went w/ laser for 5 years, then what. Year 6 am i going to be just where i started? Will my skin be saggy and aged? start growing crazy amounts of hair? ANY experiences to share if you’ve done laser a while now? (most experiences i read here are new)

It really just depends on the person I believe.

RJC2001 is obviously a great example, having lost almost 95% of his hair over 2 years.

And I have read someone on these forums having treatment done in 98 who is still hair-free in those areas done…

The problem is the technology is too recent. The Lightsheer for example.

There is no way to know how much reduction is possible (for a vast majority of people) and how long that reduction lasts.

But that’s not to say it doesn’t work…then again, it’s not a 100% full-proof art either

You just gotta try, experiment, keeping in mind saftey and practioner skill.

It really just depends on the person I believe.

RJC2001 is obviously a great example, having lost almost 95% of his hair over 2 years.

And I have read someone on these forums having treatment done in 98 who is still hair-free in those areas done…

The problem is the technology is too recent. The Lightsheer for example.

There is no way to know how much reduction is possible (for a vast majority of people) and how long that reduction lasts.

But that’s not to say it doesn’t work…then again, it’s not a 100% full-proof art either

You just gotta try, experiment, keeping in mind saftey and practioner skill.

There is some concern from experts who understand lasers and complications from treatment that would cause patients to avoid treatment if they were FULLY INFORMED.

The November issue of the ARCHIVES of DERMATOLOGY related a number of cases, from doctors IN OTHER COUNTRIES, concern for development of melanomas in laser treated patients.

The damage to the skin from light is CUMULATIVE over the years, therefore, repeated treatments over the same area, as is done with lasers adds to the exposure the patiens already have. This presents new problems that are STILL NOT FULLY UNDERSTOOD. NO DOCTOR WANTS TO TELL HIS PATIENT HE IS THE CAUSE OF THE MELANOMA, THEREFORE, THEY ARE NOT REPORTED. ACEDEMIC DOCTORS SEE THE BAD RESULTS AND THE COMPLICATIONS AND REPORT WHAT THEY SEE. LASER TREATMENTS BY NON-MEDICAL PEOPLE NEVER GET REPORTED AS THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR OR WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING AT. (PARDON THE CAPS BUT I DO NOT KNOW HOW ELSE TO EMPHASIZE THIS).

REPLY TO ZAMBO…The leading investigator in the field of lasers for hair removal is Rox Anderson, M.D. at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. He no longer does hair removal by laser because of a number of reasons. One is reported in a presentation he gave to Japanese doctors. He stated 10% of the IDEAL PATIENTS (black hair and very white skin) had ALL hair regrow in 2 years. They have no explanation for this, consequently, he wonders what else is happening that he does not know about so he discontinued laser hair removal.

There are no RELIABLE statistics about the degree of success and failures in patients treated with lasers. This is unusual because ALL medical procedures have statistics on who are the best candidates, worst candidates, percentage incidence of side effects on each area of the body in different types of skin etc. (as an example…the upper chest is the area that develops more scarring than other areas of the body and most doctors will not treat this area with lasers if they are SMART. IF they are GREEDY they will treat and worry about this later (ethics, shmethics…What will it be check, cash or credit card?).

Harvey, can you cite the exact source and quotation by R. Rox Anderson, please? Dr. Anderson has stated in the past that laser can be effective in permanent hair reduction, and I’d like to see exactly what he said.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by Harvey Grove, LE, CPE:
[QB]REPLY TO ZAMBO…The leading investigator in the field of lasers for hair removal is Rox Anderson, M.D. at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. He no longer does hair removal by laser because of a number of reasons. One is reported in a presentation he gave to Japanese doctors. He stated 10% of the IDEAL PATIENTS (black hair and very white skin) had ALL hair regrow in 2 years.

That’s 10 PERCENT of IDEAL PATIENTS. Not 80 or 90 percent.

They have no explanation for this, consequently, he wonders what else is happening that he does not know about so he discontinued laser hair removal.

So let me get this striaght, 10% percent of ideal patients had full regrowth after 2 years so “the doc” figured “Oh no” and stopped altogether. Forgive my flippant attitude but that sounds a little too barmy for a “professional”. Ok, if a high percentage was noted–fair enough but 10% is hardly a substantial figure.

There are no RELIABLE statistics about the degree of success and failures in patients treated with lasers.

Accepted that studies to be held with regard should be independent, performed by professionals (not on a laser company’s paylist) and cover a substantial amount of time (over the course of 12-18 months after the last treatment). I would say that most clinical data available on the net is RELIABLE but hardly CONCLUSIVE.

This is unusual because ALL medical procedures have statistics on who are the best candidates, worst candidates, percentage incidence of side effects on each area of the body in different types of skin etc. (as an example…the upper chest is the area that develops more scarring than other areas of the body and most doctors will not treat this area with lasers if they are SMART. IF they are GREEDY they will treat and worry about this later (ethics, shmethics…What will it be check, cash or credit card?).

RJC2001 would have something to say about that I think! I think it’s accepted that LHR is less a perfect science, and more an art-form (sad to say isn’t it?) But to rule it out completely is a bit drastic. The Lightsheer only appeared recently and there have been major steps forward in the field of LHR over the last few years. Maybe in 10 years time we may be even further ahead of the game.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>

I’m only one year past when I began getting treatments, and am now three months past my last (5th treatment), but I will share with you that I am extremely pleased with my results thus far. I was treated with the Lightsheer for underarms, lower legs, and brazilian bikini.

To date, I have some minor, light fine regrowth in the bikini area but am completely clear everywhere else. I used to be very self conscious about the hair as it was coarse and dark, and my skin was pale, making it visible even after I had just shaved (which I used to have to do daily!). It also saves me time every morning when getting ready for work not to have to shave my legs, etc. Also, when I go on vacation, I used to have to shower first so that I could shave – it is great to be able to just get up, put on my bathing suit and go!

I also had LASIK vision correction 3 years ago and I compare the freedom that these two procedures have afforded me as being comparable.

I used to visit this board alot in the beginning of my treatment (it was very helpful!), but don’t check in as much anymore. I’ll make a note to post again in a few more months to update whether there’s any more regrowth.

Hope this is helpful!
-Cathy

I am almost 2 months past my 5th treatment with Lightsheer on my face and so far I am VERY happy the results. I still have a few very fine hairs that grow in but I am planning on having a couple more treatments on that area still. I am so impressed that I am having the rest of my face done (cheeks and sideburns). I only get about a third of the breakouts that I used to get and I am not plucking EVERY day, in fact I am not plucking those treated areas at all! Saves so much time in the morning. My skin looks alot better and I feel better about my appearance. Good Luck :wink:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I would also like to know any thing other than hair regrowth experiences. Skin changes in general. I am thinking about using laser as a brazilian waxing replacement, and don’t mind using it til just about forever. Unless of course it will age my skin considerable. Frankly, i don’t think ripping the hair out 12x a year is so gentle either. And of course w/ my stupid darker skin getting in the way, i have more reason to be concerned. I just will do almost about anything to get fid of this effin hair. One thing for sure, i have no intention of shaving there every day for the rest of my life. It’s waxing or electrolysis. And i don’t have a rec for a good elec in nyc any more. : (. SO i have to choose, any thoughts on this? thanks again.

I have had no scarring at all on my upper chest all, even with the alexandrite Apogee, which tends to scab sometimes. I’ve been treated at 45J with the diode Lightsheer and still no scabbing. If a high number of a practitioner’s patients are experiencing scabbing on their upper chest, I would have to question the competence andn skill of the practitioner.

I have had no bad side effects on my skin from the laser treatment, only good side effects, such as 95% less hair, no more ingrowns, no razor bumps, and less sweating when working out.

RJC2001

and what about long term health affects? skin cancer, for example. anyone have any data/personal experience with that?

I think most folks confuse laser energy with radiation or ultra-violet, UVA, UVB or UVC. Laser is a coherent, collimated light-source of heat, not radiation. Lasers have been used for many medical procedures for years, including various types of surgery, LASIK, and re-surfacing.

but the laser/IP targets melanin. there is melanin in the skin too. so the skin also absorbs the light and can cause damage to the cell tissues. i found an article on www.pubmed.com (type in sometihhng simple like laser hair removal) but i didnt save it. when i come across it again i’ll give u the link to it.

[ December 25, 2003, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Lady_Persia ]

Lady Persia, I’m not sure what you are trying to say here. What effect did this article say that laser had on cell structure. I did a search for this info and couldn’t find it. I also did a search for “laser hair removal cancer” and found only articles relating to lasers role in possibly TREATING cancer.

what inspired me to post my message was by Butterfly’s post questioning the possibility of skin cancer. it reminded me of what i read somewhere online; it said that having laser done on your skin for multiple sessions increases the aging of skin, and a doctor who was practicing laser stopped doing so because of this.

i enjoy researching about the different types of lasers to get an idea about which one’s the best one to go for. this is why so far im satisfied with an IPL system instead of the ruby or other types because I dont seem to come across any negative articles

i think i found it :smile: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&li st _uids=10658135&dopt=Abstract(searched for ‘laser damage to epidermis’)

however a contradictory article says that the pulses made by a normal mode ruby laser successfully does damage the hair follicle http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ uids=8959946&dopt=Abstract

i hope im not getting carried away with all this information!

[ December 25, 2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Lady_Persia ]

Effectiveness:
It all depends on your personal goals.

• Mine was to get rid of the razor bumps and pemanent neck inflammation. It was a success.
  • However if my goal had been total & permanent facial hair removal I would have said that it was a failure (after 1.5 years and 8 treatments I still have some hair but much less).

Safety:
In some ways we are guinea pigs. But are you ready to wait 10 years for more thorough studies on long-term effects?

I even saw in the Electrolysis forum that there is a study claiming that frequent laser treatments may stimulate hair growth…

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by mike2003:
<strong>I even saw in the Electrolysis forum that there is a study claiming that frequent laser treatments may stimulate hair growth…</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>ive been reading about this too but the way they interepreted it could be misleading. This is referring to FINE facial hairs on people with skin types 3/4 being treated with lower energies which causes the follicles to be stimulated. so it probably doesnt include body hair…
(thats what i got from it, if youre interested: “Treating darker skinned women with too low a fluence causes regrowth” http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatologytimes/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=76903 )

It also stated the likelihood was slim and most of the people the condition occurred in were treated by non-physicians or physicians not specialized in the field or not enough training. We only see or hear what we want to.

meikmeak