Anyone autoclave apilus needleholder tips?

I have been autoclaving mine and I have just noticed the plastic may be breaking down. There is a white powder forming on the metal needle holder threads. I have only autoclaved them a dozen times. Not sure if it’s just one bad cap or if they all will start to break down.

Are others using an autoclave with them or a chemical solution instead?

I’m kinda annoyed if they can’t be autoclaved because I just bought a bunch (not that cheap for a small piece of plastic).

Anyone know of another manufacturer caps that fit regular apilus (not platinum or pure) needle holders?

My understanding is that they should only be soaked in a sanitary solution, not autoclaved. Even bakelite plastic eventually breaks down with repeated heat challenges.

I get caps from Prestige Electrolysis supply, the catalogue indicates they can be autoclaved. I first put them through an ultrasonic cleaning and then soak them in CS20, a hydrogen peroxide product.

The proper steps for cleaning these tips are:

1. Soaking in an enzyme solution. (This can be in your ultrasonic device.)
  2. Scrubbing by ultrasonic.
  3. Rinsing.
  4. Drying.
  5. Packaging. (Can be packaged with tweezer/forceps.)
  6. Sterilizing by way of autoclave or dry heat.

There are two types of tip. The white tip can be autoclaved, but cannot be place in dry heat. The black tip can be autoclaved or placed in dry heat.

Both will break down if they are exposed to bleach. I have black tips that have been sterilized by dry heat at least 3 times per week for 15+ years and they are not disintegrating, fading, shedding, or breaking down in any way.