Anti-depressants + Caffeine = Zero Pain Tolerance?

I have had a few clients the past few years who have had zero pain tolerance, and nothing (and I do mean NOTHING) allows them to lose their high sensitivity. What they all shared in common was Irish ancestry, daily mega doses of caffeine a diet low in green vegetables and they were all on anti-depressants. The most common diagnosis they were getting the prescribed medication for was “Bi-Polar Disorder”.

Has anyone else noticed such a phenomenon?

James, for what it’s worth, at a guess, 10% of my female clients are on treatment for depression. I think this definitely seems to be associated with hypertrichosis/hirsutism.
As I live in Scotland, most of my clients are of Scottish/Irish descent! I don’t see any association with low pain tolerance though. Also, high caffeine intake is not a common trend and Bi polar disorder is not the prevalent condition. (depression and resistant depression are the main ones)

I have one client that fits this description, but she is of Native American descent. I don’t think she smokes but seems really dehydrated skin wise. I have told her over and over what to do and how often to come and quite often she will cancel because she is afraid of the pain. Oh btw she uses EMLA cream but refuses to put the occlusion on it.
I’m never allowed to finish a full treatment so she will never be done. I have told her this.
I throw my hands up in the air over this one.
:slight_smile:

Regarding clients with hair and taking antidepressants: While I know that having the hair is depressing, I do wonder if there is “something else” contributing to the various symptoms. (Toxins, stress, poor nutrition, pick something!!!)

A client who was on Lyrica felt no discomfort, but when she went of the prescription (I forget why)tx were quite uncomfortable.