Another woman burned by Epil-Stop

On 5 November 2002, WAVY TV in Hampton Roads, Virgina reported a viewer’s problems with Epil-Stop depilatory spray, including severe chemical burns. Although they are careful not to show the brand, it is clear the product is IGIA Epil-Stop, a common culprit in second-degree burns of this nature.

Story (includes icky photos):

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=998152

Video (requires RealOne media Player):

http://www.wavy10.com/video/hair-remove.ram

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”> Getting rid of hair…it’s gone from shaving cream and razors to roll-on, spray-on, and wax-on hair removing techniques.

A spray-on hair remover made a Hampton woman call 10 On Your Side because her results were far from the silky smooth skin she expected.

If you use these products, her experience is a warning that you should not overlook.

Carol Parker has used hair removers and epilatories before. She enjoys the convenience they offer, freeing her from the need to shave.

“Hair off for three weeks,” says Parker. “That’s what really caught my attention.”

Parker and her daughter decided to use the latest product on the market.

“I tested it,” recalls Parker.

“I tested mine on my leg,” remembers her daughter, Alpha Germain, “and it didn’t burn or anything.”

With successful tests, the next day, both used the product.

“Mine began to burn so I washed it off,” says Germain.

For Parker, it wasn’t a burning sensation that concerned her, it was the fact that the hair was still there.

She says she followed the directions to the letter, spraying on the product then wiping it off with a wash cloth. But according to Parker, the only thing that came off was the spray-on cream…not her unwanted hair.

“I can’t believe this,” says Parker. “Eighteen ninety-nine and the hair is still there. I was a little bit upset because I was thinking, ‘Okay, what do I do with this now?’”

For Parker, things got worse a few days later.

“My arms are completely filled with pimple like sores…my legs, you could see it was burning, red hot to the touch.”

According to Parker, a doctor looked at her arm and told her it looked like some type of chemical burns.

In fact, allergic reactions to products like the one used by Parker can leave the skin irritated, burned or worse.

Most over-the-counter hair removers contain ingredients like water, mineral oil and calcium thioglycolate.

The Food and Drug Administration says calcium thioglycolate is a highly alkaline chemical…and that is the active ingredient that dissolves and removes the hair.

It is because of calcium thioglycolate, and other ingredients, that companies issue warnings and caution statements on the back of all depilatories or hair removers reminding you that skin irritation or allergic reactions may occur even after prior use.

Parker is now on the road to recovery, but her arms and legs are a constant reminder of a hair remover that didn’t work for her.

“I’m not happy and when I look at my skin,” says Parker. “It’s like ‘Oh gosh.’”

If you use, or you are thinking of using, a depilatory-type hair remover, here are some important reminders:

Consult your doctor before using the product. There could be an ingredient that you are allergic to or it may cause a bad reaction to a medication you’re currently taking.

Read the directions before using the product and make sure you understand the directions.

Follow the directions by doing the patch test and waiting 24 hours before using the product.

And here’s a warning most people ignore, but shouldn’t. Before each use, do a patch test by applying the product on the area…every time. Your body can develop an allergic reaction to the product in-between uses…and that’s something you don’t want to discover after applying it over a large area. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>

[ November 08, 2002, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]