Am I the only guy who never wants to shave again?

So a thought occurred to me…

Why is it that I’ve never heard of another guy (other than male-to-female transsexuals) who wishes to undergo permanent hair removal such that he never has to shave his beard again?

Do people in general think of doing this as “unnatural” somehow? When I mentioned thinking about doing this to my mother, she was weirded out.

I think my mother saw my viewpoint after I pointed out to her that I have no use for a beard, and that she nags me about shaving whenever I haven’t shaved for a while. So, even though it made logical sense, it felt unnatural to her by instinct.

I think most guys wouldn’t consider it just because it does rule out the concept of you ever growing it out ever again… and who can really say what you’ll want in twenty years?

Hi. I’m also considering to remove my beard and all facial hair.
I don’t know why I need them since I always shave them. Plus this irratation after each time I shave drive crazy.

Weeeel, I doubt you are the only who wishes to never shave again. Is that strange? I don’t think so, shaving is tedious and sometimes painful.
It doesn’t have to be so nasty though and here is why:

One could say however that at least “some shadow” on a guy is sexy or appealing because it is masculine :relaxed: yeah babee

Having a completely hairless face as a man if you are in your mid 20s on up may give a more feminine look.

Lets face it, it is typical that men have hair on their face to “some degree” and typically a hairless face is something you see almost exclusively on women, not men. Having absolutely no hair on your face may result in a subtle baby faced/feminine appearance. As long as you don’t mind that possible affect, then go for it, just be aware though.

I also think that as a society, the message to men is shave as close as you possibly can and to do it as an everyday thing. I think Gilette and others make men suffer more rather than really helping them :confused:

So, don’t shave so close :angry: A lot of guys think the purpose of shaving is to appear as though one doesn’t have hair, even though men do have hair. I don’t think that is a healthy way to look at it. Shaving should be about having a “kept” looking face, not necessarily a hairless one.

Next time you shave don’t try so hard! relax, don’t scrape the razor accross your face as though you are trying to cut a field of wheat before sundown :fearful:

Another tip, shave after your shower. Once you have showered this softens up the facial hair. Shave every other day, use a good shaving cream, forget about disposable razors - they suck :angry: and rinse with warm(not hot) water.

Alot of guys would also benefit from using a moisturizer after shaving, they often don’t bother or think it is too feminine to do :wink:

A really soothing lotion is “Nivea extra enriched lotion” it is a little oily(but soothing) so if you try it then use it very very sparingly. Put it on your face only where you have shaved, rub it in gently. Tendskin is also another soothing product out there but I dont’ know much about it.

Sorry to have rambled once again, but I think a lot of guys would have an easier time with their facial hair if they just changed their attitude and approach towards it. Give that new tude a try and if you don’t like it or it doesn’t work, then teh laser will still be an option later.

P.S. the next time your mother bugs you to shave tell her in a laughing way that you are just livin up to your sexy image. Use that as your response each time and she’ll stop bugging you about it gauranteed.

:grin: 

[ November 26, 2002, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Jgirl76 ]

P-chan,
I never want to shave as well. Still considering if I shall go for facial area.

A lot of guys tell me they’d like to avoid shaving ever again, but most of them balk when faced with the commitment of time, money and pain required for complete facial hair removal. It is a very difficult process that only the most dedicated men pursue.

Having said that, there are many males who have removed some or all of their facial hair with electrolysis or laser, and have been pleased. Just be aware that once you start (especially with laser), you may need to see it all the way to the end. Patchy and patterned regrowth can force some men to keep going even after their money is gone.

In addition, the likelihood of skin damage adds another risk. If you do decide to try this, you must go to someone who is very experienced in treating androgen-driven facial hair. It’s the ultimate stress test for any practitioner, so choose wisely!

Most men will be happy to stick with shaving, but if you decide it’s right for you, keep us posted!

I would be happy enough if laser treatments would reduce the beard density or would just make the hair finer and easier to shave. If I wait longer than 24 hrs. to shave it feels like I have wire growing out of my face!

It takes 20-30 minutes for me to sahve my beard every day and it’s a PITA. If laser were able to make it possible to shave in 10 minutes or less I would be overjoyed. I always laugh when the outside of the shaver boxes says “provides two weeks of shaving on a single charge.” That assumes of course that it takes about only 4 minutes per shave. Yeah, right.

Once I finish my body hair removal with laser and/or electrolysis I’ll probably have my beard done.

RJC2001

RJC, you might consider doing a little test area under the jawline to see how you respond. Hairs down there are the most common culprit for shaving problems, and a few blasts as you’re getting other areas done might help predict your response rate and the reaction on your face. I’d recommend doing it on the soft part under the chin, since it can really hurt to get zapped right on the jawbone. Also, it’s not very noticeable to others.

I have had 150 hours of facial electrolysis (I’m almost done), and my only regret is that when I started 3 years ago, laser was not considered permanent. While I understand that laser still may not be permanent for some, it seems that the thinking has changed somewhat. I don’t know if I have experienced any skin damage from needle electrolysis (maybe a little, which I might be able to correct with laser skin resurfacing), but I would think that laser, when performed correctly, is easier on the skin, as it doesn’t seem to fry the tissue like electrolysis (I recently had my first laser test patch done, on my leg).

I decided to do my face for the following reasons: a) I don’t like having a beard; b)I don’t like shaving. I did worry a bit at the beginning about what others (men and women) might think, but I have since ceased to care. I like my face this way.

Steven

Steven, what happened is that when lasers came out in 1995, they were proclaimed by some to be permanent, which had not been proven. In fact, the first laser was later proven not to be permanent. When other lasers came out in 1997, they were also proclaimed to be permanent, which was not proven at the time. Later, published clinnical studies demonstrated that patients with light skin and dark hair will often have a permanent reduction in hair. It’s not so much that the thinking has changed. The thinking has always been “Let’s see some proof.” That’s still true. Some lasers were able to prove permanent hair reduction. There were consumers who were willing to take a risk on the new technology right when it came out, but I encourage people to keep their thinking along the lines of “Let’s see some proof.”

The combination of five years of clinical data and consumer reports has demonstrated that laser can be an acceptable and even preferable alternative to electrolysis for some consumers. However, since male facial hair is a very difficult thing to remove permanently, it’s very important that consumers take the time to find the best and most experienced practitioner they can find, whether they choose laser or electrolysis. That’s the best way to ensure good results with minimal skin damage.

Just like various methods, when choosing a practitioner for facial hair removal, the best way of thinking is “Let’s see some proof.” Ask to talk to someone who is done and happy. While this is not always possible, it’s still the best way to determine if a practitioner is capable of removing male facial hair in a safe and effectove manner. It’s the hardest challenge they face, so you should make choosing someone good your utmost priority.

Keep us posted on your laser results! :smile:

Andrea,

I foud Andrea advice very helpful, thanks a lot.
May i know how about things guys should aware when they want to LHR on thier leg? how about problem problem of pattern regrowth n patchy?

Laxer, avoiding sun before and after treatment and going to someone with a lot of experience will reduce your risk of problems.

I have a page of tips for finding a laser practitioner on hairfacts:

http://www.hairfacts.com/tips/laserchoose.html

Those are good suggestions, Andrea. I did have my neck done about an inch or two above my collar bone and the results were very good, very little regrowth after one treatment, and that was with the Apogee. Part of that area includes where the hair gets noticeably thicker where the beard starts. However, I have to say that having that part done was extremely painful, and I have a high pain tolerance.

I would like to have my chest and upper arms totally done before I move on to any other areas. I haven’t had my upper arms treated as aggressively as my chest and back and there is about 20-30% left. So that is the next area of emphasis along with maybe some electro for my chest.

I have so little back hair left it is almost not worth shaving. It takes about two weeks of letting it grow to even see anything and it is very fine.

RJC2001