all FEMALES considering hair removal read here first

I am a 36 year old female with excess body hair in the thigh and bikini area (only), that has been there since puberty.
I have just been to see my Doctor and was referred to a Dermatologist. The Dermatologist took some blood from my arm and called me 4 days later with the results: I do not have raised hormone levels associated with PCOS and my hair growth “is likely to be genetic” rather than hormonal.

i am not surprised, as i do not exhibit any of the typical symptoms of PCOS: male hair growth patterns, menstrual problems, acne, obesity.

However, I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT PCOS until i started digging very deep into my hair problem and i am writing this to suggest to ANY WOMEN CONSIDERING LASER TREATMENT or other forms of hair removal: go and see your Doctor first, and make sure they refer you for hormone tests. This could save you a lot of time and frustration in the long term, as the hair growth problem may be treated more effectively with hormone treatment alongside hair reduction treatment.

PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome):
i am not going to attempt to write about PCOS because there is enough great information all over this site (thanks Andrea).

This is very true, skippy. About 2% of women who present themselves for hair removal treatment have an undiagnosed glucose intolerance. While hormonal issues are usually not the case, for those who do have issues, a hair removal method will need to be supplemented with hormonal therapy in order to see the best results.

I have been treated with Metformin for PCOS since 2000. While many women do see a hair reduction with Metformin therapy, I have not. I just found this forum tonight and have spent several hours reading through the posts. I have found it very informative and hope to be able to afford the treatments soon. I am what most would consider to be fairly attractive, but I spend way too long every morning plucking hairs from my face and neck and am looking for an alternative…PLEASE let this laser stuff be it. I had electrolosys done on my stomach years ago and I HATED it and it didn’t really work.

No matter the hormone problem, once a hair follicle is treated properly with electrology, it will never grow another hair.

I have had many of my past patients come into my office over 40 years later and are now on hormone therapy. Unfortunately, due to cancer. They are growing hair everywhere except on the areas I treated and their heads. When electrology is properly administered the skin looks great for life no matter what. :wink: There are good and bad doctors, dentists and even hairdressers. Don’t judge all electrologists as incompetent.

Today I am receiving on an average 3 new patients per week and they all had laser treatment. As the government says it is not permanent. Our office tried it and light treatments and we gave all fees paid back to our patients.

It has now been found that after 5 years of laser hair removal all the hair grows back plus more !! It stimulated surrounding hair follicles to grow hair. (Dr. Ranella Hirsch, Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, & Mitchell Goldman, M.D., LaJolla, California.) May 2003

Read carefully the site: ElectrolysisInformation.com

Fino,

It is true that follicles destroyed by electrolysis are history, but hormonal disorders will make the dormant follicles active. So with as many as 600-1000 follicles per square inch, which are gradually recruited by the hormones, you’ll be doing electrolysis on one client for 1000 yrs and more with regular appointments. While electrolysis is the only permanent solution for hair removal, medical treatment of medical disorders is a must to control the hair.

To those who were not satisfied with electrolysis before:
It is not the method, but the practitioner who is to blame. The method is proven over 100 yrs. It is not the knife in the hands of a skillfull surgeon or a ruthless murderer that deserves to be praised or faulted, but the hand holding it. Read www.hairfacts.com on how to find your best technician.

Good luck!

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by Finogior:
<strong>No matter the hormone problem, once a hair follicle is treated properly with electrology, it will never grow another hair.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>well then why is it that after getting laser hair removal, and having the hairs removed etc etc after like 6 treatments, women get an abdomen line of hair on their stomach during and after pregnancy? IT is due to excessive hormones, isnt it?

[ November 10, 2003, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: LadyPersia ]

Does the PCOS apply to men as well?

LadyPersia:

I don’t understand your question. If you can please rephrase it, having the following in mind:

1. Laser is NOT a permanent hair removal method.

2. During pregnancy women go through a big change in hormones. Many have excess hair growth as a result of this change. This is NOT the same as other pathological hormonal imbalances that can cause excess hair growth.

ants:

PCOS stands for Polycystic OVARIAN Syndrome. It draws its name from many small cysts that can develop on the ovaries, as one of the symptoms of the condition.

thanks yb.