Alexandrite laser basics

I have a question for RJC2001… I’ve been reading around in this forum for a few days, and you seem to have posted replies to a lot of the topics that I am interested in (alexandrite lasers, electrolysis, etc.). In one of your reponses you wrote that you have laser treatments every winter; my question is: Does the hair that you’ve had treated grow back in the duration of a year, resulting in the need to be treated every winter? And if that is the case, do you see more and more improvement in the effectiveness of the laser year after year?

Usually any regrowth that I have occurs within a month or two and it doesn’t increase after that. When I resume treatments I see improvement after each one but the rate of improvement was declining as I have less hair left. The rate of improvement increased noticeably when I switched over to the Lightsheer diode laser.

BTW, I just found out that my boat will be down for major repairs, probably for several weeks based on past experience. Same thing happened to me last two years. Now I wished I would have stayed out of the sun so I could have continued treatments through the summer and maybe hit the growth cycles better. Nonetheless, I am still very happy with the results!

RJC2001

Hey there.
Andrea, I read in one russian newspaper that it’s much effective to do laser hair removal in young age…
Is it true?
How much effective?
Thanks and have a great day…and good hair removal results, by the way. :wink:

Andrea…Just saw your profile…
Is it you on the photo ?..I thought you’re he… :confused: :confused

It has now been about 6 weeks since the test patch I had done with the Gentlase laser.
Hair regrowth is about 40% (60% reduction) - and the hair that has regrown is pretty fully regrown at this point. The redness is gone - but there is still a very noticeable discoloration.

I will wait to see if the discoloration goes away - if it does, then the procedure seems a go. Though I would want to do it during fall/winter - so no worries of exposing treated skin for at least 3 months.

I also had a test patch done with the ND-Yag. I can’t say how well it worked - the test patch was too small to be significant. The upside to the ND-Yag was the very mild redness, which dissipated within days, and no discoloration.

Teen, somehow I missed your message before-- nope, I’m female, although some quacks like to say that I’m a man working for secret government and trade groups that are “conspiring to keep new hair removal methods down.” Pay no attention to the paranoid nuts! :wink: You can check out my personal site at andreajames.com.

As far as laser working better on younger people, that has not been determined in clinical studies. However, certain types of hair get more coarse as we age, so it’s possible that treating hairs when they are not as developed mey be easier. Keep in mind that new hairs may develop as we age, so treating hairs when you are younger may not prevent you from seeing hair in that area again. Dormant follicles that hadn’t been treated may come to life later.

Thanks for the report, Hairy! The discoloration is definitely an issue to deal with before getting a larger area done. The trade-off for Nd:YAG is it’s very safe and not as painful, but the effectiveness may not be as good.

[ August 07, 2002, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Andrea ]