AHA's

Hi,

I just wanted to ask whether or not it’s ok to continue using a lotion containing 10% AHA (at night only) if I have electrolysis treatments? Thanks!

Unless you have a skin reaction, it should pose no problem. Since electrolysis provides more dead skin to shed, a good AHA would be a fine way to assist in returning the skin to pre treatment shape. The reason many of us use Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Alternifolia) is the way it desolves particulates left in and on the skin while helping to heal and sooth the skin.

Thanks James! Would it be okay then to use the AHA lotion at night after my electrolysis treatment that day? Also, when you use tea tree oil do you just apply it neat to the skin with a cotton swab for example? Thanks again!

If the appointment was early in the day, I would have no problem with an AHA that night. An appointment later in the night might be the time to error on the side of caution.

Some Tea Tree Oils come with a shaker insert that allows one to turn the bottle upside down and get one drop to drip out. This allows one to shake it like salt on the area one wants to apply it directly instead of wasting it by soaking a cotton ball first. If your manufacturer did not give you one of these, just cover the bottle with a clean finger and dab and spread it on like you would perfume from a bottle. It will last longer this way, and you don’t have to worry about the cotton unraveling and leaving strings on your skin. You also don’t have to worry about smelly trash bags that would actually be eaten through by a collection of used tea tree oil swabs.

Tea Tree will dissolve plastic if given enough time.

Thanks James!

James, I have a question, which I hope you won’t mind answering? I purchased the cream containing AHA, which I regularly use at night only. Using a cream with AHAs is obviously exfoliating my skin, but is this going to make my skin more susceptible to damage from electrolysis. I know using a AHA can make your skin more sensitive. Thanks for reading!

No, it won’t make your electrolysis treatments more dangerous in any way, as long as you are not putting the stuff on fresh from the treatment table. The skill of your practitioner is more important.

Thank you James. I presume this means that my electrolysis can continue treating me at my current settings? :smile:

[ October 21, 2003, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Jacinta80 ]