Can you please provide your insight on my situation? I am having an adverse reaction to my first laser hair removal treatment. Here’s the background…
- I decided on laser hair removal due to suffering from ingrown hairs in the goatee area of my face.
- I am asian and have black, coarse and dense hair on my face.
- The day after my treatment I woke up to many, many whiteheads and some irritation on the face.
- The spa asked me to come in and told me to pop the whiteheads with a lancet and to continue to clean the treated area.
- A day later the whiteheads continued to form and reform from existing ones. The treated area was swollen, irritated, red, dry and slightly raised.
- I went into the spa again and they treated me briefly with a facial mask and asked that I exclusively only cleanse the treated area and provided a salicylic acid acne treatment to use multiple times a day.
- It is now the third day since the initial treatment and the area is swollen, red, dry and irritated with slightly raised areas around the hair follicles. The whiteheads have slowed in reforming and have dried out a bit.
- Before coming in, I was told no sun a week before and two weeks after and complied with the no sun exposure the week before, but have had a meaningful amount of sun previous to the week before my first treatment. I informed the technician that I was probably a little darker/tanner than my normal skin tone.
- The day of my first treatment, I did go swimming at night, but the sun was completely down (not sure if that would be an issue).
- Not sure what laser was used but did not use any gels or anesthetics. There was a cooling devise blowing cold air on the face as treatment was applied.
- They gave me a few moisturizers and suntan block after the treatment.
- The spa has said they see this in 10% to 20% of their male patients who are treated for the same issues. They say the laser and treatment has forced all the bacteria up and out which has caused this problem which they characterize as fairly common.
I am a bit worried that all the redness, irritation, dryness and whiteheads will scab and scar. Any thoughts or experience with this type of situation? Will I have the same reaction after future laser treatments?
Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.