Accutane (Isotretinoin)

Acne can be a horrible experience for some people of any age, affecting self-esteem, confidence and can leave sufferers feeling helpless and alienated. Anyone who is thinking about taking Accutane should really do their research as the results can be somewhat unexpected.Here we will try break down what Accutane can do for you and what alternate effects it can bring on. Some Acne sufferers have experienced positive results by using Accutane, unfortunately such results are often counterbalanced with some rather harsh side effects. Side effects and their regularity amongst users of this product are listed below

• Chapped lips 90%
  • Dry skin and itching 80% - the use of daily alpha hydroxacids will help prevent this side effect.
  • Dryness of nose, mild nosebleed 80%
  • Irritation of the eyelids and eyes 40% -Vitamin E 400 IU each day may lessen this side effect.
  • Joint and muscle pains 15%
  • Temporary hair thinning 10%
  • Rash 7%
  • Intestinal symptoms 5%
  • Urinary symptoms 5%
  • Headache 5%
  • Increased sensitivity to sunburn 5%
  • Decreased night vision <1%
  • Depression, thoughts of suicide <1%

We consider some of the side effects listed as worse than the acne itself! Accutane users have also reported to us that when you cease using the product in many cases your acne comes back.

According to www.hormonehelpny.com Spironolactone is a much better treatment for acne. I no longer have oily hair and face, and I now have clear skin. Accutane is brutal on the organs. Spiro is often used to keep people with kidney disease, liver disease, and congenital heart failure alive longer, so that must mean spiro isn’t harmful to those organs.

Acne often comes back after Accutane, though not as bad. That’s why some people get 2 or 3 rounds of the stuff. But heck, why not just treat the underlying cause… hormones!

this post is an ad promoting yet another random site. don’t take it seriously.

I find it funny that the average person who says “I can’t really be expected to dink one ounce of water for every pound I weigh every day!” is the same person who has no problem polishing off a 2 liter of soda-pop, six pack of beer or some other junk drinks that all lead to dehydration and cause the body to start to eliminate via skin secreations, rather than use of the restroom facilities.

Most people who take steps to increase water intake, balance electrolytes, and make sure their fiber intake is 20 to 30 grams a day (seriously, one bowl of unprocessed oatmeal or oatbran a day would assure this amount) would make most people’s skin clear up in a month or two.

OR, YOU CAN TAKE DRUGS WITH SIDE EFFECTS LIKE THOSE LISTED FOR THIS ACCUTAINE JUNK!

I probably drink 2-3 ounces of water for every pound I drink (that would explain the constant trips to the bathroom I guess). :smiley:

I hear you totally about the tons of soda thing - they complain water doesn’t taste good. Whiners - need to slap some sense into them. :wink:

Do you know the military says straight out, “We advise drinking 6 to 8 quarts of water a day to our personnell, and realize that the average civillian lives in a dehydrated state that they have become accustomed to living in. It is one of the things we have to instill in our recruits as quickly as possible.” (Yes folks, that’s a gallon and a half to 2 gallons a day! Sir, Yes Sir!)

As I have had many interesting conversations with people here about water intake, I found this quote notable, and figured I would bring it to your attention:

It’s Not How Much You Drink, It’s How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it’s possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.

Healthy eating does not always prevent acne James. I eat a large amount of fibre per day, constantly drink water as well as make sure my diet is well balanced and have been doing since I was small (as my mother is a bit of a healthy food junky). Still, I had the equivalent of “pizza face” or cystic acne/nodules covering my face.

The thing is, the doctors kept fiddling with my diet, even though it was a perfectly well balanced as it was and then giving me lots of different drugs in a bid that one of them would work, instead of perscribing me (Ru)accutane. Yet, after a nice little cocktail of 500mg of Oxytetracycline, Zineret lotion, 200mg of minocycline, Isotrenoin gel (yes that same stuff as ruaccutane but in gel form) Benzaclin cream and a host of other goodies, which didn’t work. They eventually gave me (ru)accutane 80mg for 8 months (yes I know this is high and for a long period), which cleared up my skin completley and has been clear for 3 years. Yeah I was lucky and only got chapped lips, but really, as for suicidal tendancies I was already on the verge of them as I couldn’t walk down a corridor without having “pizza face” or “don’t go near him, one may explode in your face” shouted at me at least once.

Yeah, the people that sit their eating their supersize McDonalds for lunch, dinner and a late night snack should take a large chunk of the blame, but unfortunatley some people do just end up with it regardless of what they eat.

ANyways, this is not another little promotion for (ru)accutane, and I do agree it should be used with extreme caution, however unfortunatley some people still make it sound like some demon drug that should be banned outright.

Regards,
Benji

Some people find that when they replace pasteurized skim milk with raw whole milk, their acne disappears. Skim milk depletes vitamin A.

Side effects of isotretinoin depend on dose

…and on individual. I experienced dry nose effect but didn’t exp nose bleeds or joints pain

I don’t want to seem like I did not reply to Benji Boy, but I did not see his post until now. There are many things that can lead to Acne. Water is just the easiest thing that can do it, and yet can be taken care of. Many other people are experiencing acne due to lack of Vitamin A. Instead of expensive Acne washes, creams and such, many would do better to take 100,000 IU’s a day of Vitamin A Palmitate for 3 to 6 months. It would be best if it were broken up throughout the day instead of one large dose at a time. Also helpful are more than 1,000 mgs Vitamin C, and more than 100 mgs Zinc spread out through the day. These things would help clear acne, and aid the body in rebuilding other things as well.

What foods are Vitamin A found in?

liver

sweet potatos

carrots

mangoes

spinach

cantaloupe

dried apricots

milk

egg yolks

mozzarella cheese

Alcohol, coffee and too much iron can deplete your vitamin A level.

Thank you.