About to start laser hair removal.

I don’t think you’re starting too early with the laser treatments. If you wait too long, some of your hair may turn white or grey and laser won’t work on those hairs.

By way of comparison, my first laser treatment (with the Apogee) on the back took 2 hours and used 15,000 pulses. Cost was $700 with one follow up treatment included with that price.

RJC2001

Sasquatch,

I have been reading your posts and admit I am quite interested as to how you will feel come may and how your those sessions work out. I am contemplating hair removal on my back, but desire permanent removal or reduction opposed to getting the runaround from some sales person. I am eager to here how your situation unfolds.

RJC2001,

You post alot, and I have spent a couple hours reading your posts, very good stuff. I was wondering for newbies like me, who pick up your experiences piece by piece, if you could do a quick synopsis of your past experiences and current ones? Like, started in 2002, used X laser on y location of my body, had z results, cost q $$, etc? To much to ask, no worries.

Thanks.
Dano

Not to worry, Dano.

I plan on keeping everyone posted on my current status. This board was a major help in me deciding to start in on all of this (especially RJC2001).

I have noticed already a significant amount of regrowth, but I know it isn’t as bad as it used to be. The exact percentage, but I would say there is bit not grown back (yet, at least) and the stuff that has grown back is not as thick.

The doctor did tell me to expect full regrowth, so maybe I’m just hoping for too much. He did say, however, that the 2nd treatment is when I would start to see a big difference. I can’t wait for that :smile: .

Take care.

Sounds like Dr. Escue led you to have realistic expectations instead of making wild promises. That’s a good sign.

As far as age to start, IU figure you might as well get going on a permanent option sooner than later, since you’ll be able to save the costs of temporary methods over time.

I just had my second treatment today (May 9).

We did about 4,100 “clicks” again. Most of it at 35, my neck at 28. Again, my neck was the most painful… Almost brought me to a tear!

Will keep you posted on the progress.

My first laser treatment was on my back with the Apogee 40 in 1999. It took two hours and used 15,000 clicks (pulses). Cost was $700 with a follow up treatment included. I also had my chest and abs done for $700. I would have 1 treatment on the back then 4 weeks later on the chest. I had two treatments for each body part the first year. I had 50% permanent reduction after the first treatment for the chest and the back. I had upper arms done with about 30% reduction after the first treatment. The third treatment for each area was about $250 each.

I did not get laser treatments in the summer as my tan gets too dark. So I had about 7-8 months to observe hair regrowth patterns. I have had my upper body treated including the chest, back and upper arms. I have had 8-10 treatments per body part.

The regrowth has been much finer and some of it lighter too. The laser does have a harder time treating finer and lighter hair. Last year my practitioner swithed to the Lightsheer diode laser, which works better on finer hair. There is less redness and scabbing with the Lightsheer and I am very impressed with it.

At this point 95% of my chest hair is gone and 90% of my back hair. A lot of the chest hair left was white so I had electrolysis done on it. Laser does not work on white hair. I have about 3 or 4 white hairs left (that I can see right now). The elcectrolysis has worked well on the white hairs, and on some stubborn black hairs too.

I also decided to try the Aurora IPL/RF system on the remaining hair because it is supposed to work better on light and fine hair. It also is supposed to work better on dark skin too. It does seem to work better on dark skin and has less scabbing. As a result, I decided to get my forearms done also. I am very happy with the results but it is too early to tell about long term results. The tanning season is fast approaching so I will probably get another follow up treatment and that will be it for laser or IPL this year. I have had only one chest and arm treatment this year and will have two back treatments by the time I am done.

I will continue to do electrolysis as needed during the summer to take advantage of it’s all season capability.

I work out with weights and like the look and feel of being hairless. I want my upper body to be totally hairless so I am being very aggressive with hair removal treatments and adding electrolysis.

As far as total cost I don’t keep track. I would guess about $4-5K over 4 years for laser and about $500 for electrolysis. Not bad for four years and great success. I started at just the right time.

Once I am finished, or almost finished, with my upper body I am considering getting my legs and beard done too.

The more aggressive you are with laser, the more successful you will be but you have to stop just short of where skin damage begins. I wouldn’t worry about a little bit of redness and scabbing though. I am blessed with a great practitioner who does both electrolysis and laser.

Sorry for the length but that’s what Dano’s question asked for.

RJC2001