About to get LHR on thighs - do these settings look ok? (turned LHR diary w pics)

Heya guys. I’m a Fitzpatrick II pale bitch without a tan. My hairs on thighs are dark but not totally black. I’m not 100% sure which laser they are using on me tomorrow because I let my anxiety take hold and was too afraid to make a phone call today lol. The two possible lasers (listed on the clinic’s website) are:
GentleLase Pro-U alexandrite from Candela
OR
GentleLase Pro…?

Well whichever laser it is, it’s from the GentleLase Pro series and it’s going to be alexandrite, I know that much. I spoke to the treating derm some months ago and she said she’d use 18mm spot and 16-20J. That sounds good, right? What worried me was that she said that even at optimal settings my hair would always grow back ): this is very at odds with what I’ve been seeing from anecdotes online where ppl swear laser was the best money they ever spent, the hair never came back blablabla.

TLDR; So yeah my two questions are:

1. do those settings look ok? 18mm spot and 16-20J for GentleLase Pro-U alex (type 2 skin, dark hairs)
  2. does laser not permanently kill hair even at optimal settings?! Is this very individual and simply unpredictable?

Thank you sweet angels

Added pics of thigh in different lightings

sunlight

flash

bad failed yellow flash

1 Like

Those settings sound good to me, but I don’t think you are going to get much of a reduction with what I see, especially on the thigh area. Worth a try though. Keep your expectations low. I’m saying this from feedback I get from my electrolysis clients in regard to thigh hair. Many of those hair structures have white bulbs. I know because i work on them when laser has failed to bring a decent reduction.

Hey Dee. Thanks for your expertise. I actually had ~5 bad lasers done on my thighs with Soprano ICE - probably got intentionally undertreated -__- EVERYTHING grew back. I’m pretty sure the hairs got slightly thinner after those bad 5 laser treatments but I’ll never know for sure. A fucking tragedy to be honest. Cost a ton too.
After this new LHR that I just had though, it’s looking promising! I got the desired ‘treatment endpoints’ of follicular edema and redness. I’ll be updating this thread with pics and more details.

I agree with Dee. Manage your expectations and then even a modest reduction will be a positive result.

It seems, based on a brief look, that the Soprano ICE is a diode laser, which operates at a different wavelength to an an alexandrite laser. You might see better results from this second round of treatments.

Agree. Based on reading threads here for 20 years, the Soprano is a less impressive device. Good luck with the alex.

soprano ice has too low power output (1600 w much lower than 2000 watts - at least required for effective hair removal)

That’s crazy! I totally missed that. So the entire laser maker company are scammers not just the hair removal clinics?!

Candela Gentle Series have output power of around 26,333 watts (26.3 kw), newer series hv higher power.

But power output alone won’t guaranteed good results, other factors need to be meet too.

For more info, Beauty, Laser & Electrolysis Permanent Hair Removal: Laser Hair Removal

Alright you guys, it’s been nearly 2 weeks since the treatment and I finally got my s*it together, uploaded pics and am making an overdue update!

The machine used was GentleLase Pro-U (uses alex wavelength). The practitioner was a dermatologist. The day was June 30, 2023. Reminder - I have type 2 skin with dark hair and no tan whatsoever. We treated one entire thigh. I don’t even remember the last time I lasered that area, but it’s certainly been over a year.

Question: red arrow (3ms) is the pulse width, right? There were other numbers measured in ms (blue and green arrows) so that confused me. Blue arrow has a snowflake so I assumed that must be cooling related. I asked her if the pulse width we’re using is 3ms (red arrow) and she genuinely seemed to not know what that setting even meant? She just kept repeating oh I don’t know we just never change that setting ever. I don’t think it’s unreasonable of me to expect a treating DERMATOLOGIST to know everything about the settings?!

machine used, probably redundant photo but what the hell.

When we were about to start, I checked the settings. She was about to use 18mm spot on me with 16J. I asked if she could turn it up to 18J or even 20J expecting resistance but, thank heavens, she was just like alright! But if you get a burn it’s on you. I was like hell yeah lady let’s do this. She said that normally they just enter your skin type and hair color and use the automatic settings. That doesn’t sound great, right? :confused: Luckily, from my reading on here (can’t thank you all enough) 3ms seemed like a great pulse width (correct me if I’m wrong) and so she started zapping away. It hurt very bad on the thick hairs but cooling helped.

To sum up, in the end we used the following settings: 20J (18J for very dark thick bikini line hairs), 3ms pulse I hope, and 18mm spot.

Right after the treatment, follicular edema set in! It looked as if my skin was bubbling underneath. She said it looked like a great reaction.

It’s been a long time now since I got undertreated with the Soprano ICE and back then I had no idea what to look out for, so I don’t really remember if I had follicular edema or erythema after but I’m inclined to believe I didn’t… I just remember that it hurt like hell on the thickest hairs.

2h after, redness is in! I believe the edema was still there too, it just didn’t want to be photographed.

5h after, here you can see quite the intense redness and edema.

14h after, still swollen

42h after, still red.

And that’s that, everybody! About ten or so days later they started shedding beautifully. Many of the closely shaved hairs didn’t seem to be growing any longer and when I teased them out with tweezers they just fell off. Now I guess I won’t have anything to report for a long time until the majority grows back.

1 Like

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this!!! To be 100% sure, is my understanding correct that 3ms pulse width is good?