Abnormal scabbing?

Good morning started electrolysis yesterday. Was getting it where I used to live across the country and never got scabbing, or at least never this bad, but with this new person scabbing started forming by the time I walked out of the appointment to my car. The electrologist used a aplilus machine. This area took 15 minutes. But that’s the only information I have.

Is scabbing this big abnormal? Or is it normal and I was just fortunate in my previous experiences

Scabbing this large on the face is not normal or acceptable. It indicates too much energy and not enough care. Your electrologist should change her approach based on this result, so you’ll need to have a discussion with her. If she isn’t willing to change, you need to find another electrologist.

Your skin should be fine, but you’ll want to be gentle with it. No more treatments in that area while it’s healing.

1 Like

thank you for the input! what exactly should I be asking of her/suggesting to her?

also what is the best way to speed along the scabbing process naturally? luckily a mask covers it when I’m out doing errands and at work, but the scabbing is so dark, i’m going to have to avoid seeing people socially until they start flaking off.

Just keep your skin moisturised and leave them to flake off naturally. If you try to scrub them off too early, you’ll see some temporary skin damage.

A proper electrologist should only need to see the results of this treatment to understand what went wrong and how to fix it. You can suggest she uses lower energy levels, applies the current for a shorter amount of time and/or uses an insulated probe, but if she has to have the client direct her work in this way, then you shouldn’t be paying for treatments. It’s her job to know how to change her approach without you telling her. If she can’t do this, definitely find another electrologist.

1 Like

The scabs are too large. Your skin will resolve, but you do not want this to happen with each treatment. My advice is to change electrologists.

1 Like

I agree with all the comments above.

PLEASE SHOW HER THIS PHOTO! It must never happen again. This not a normal healing outcome with electrolysis. The epilator that was used doesn’t matter no more than a car (Honda) that hits another car (Kia). It’s caused by human error, whether it an Apilus, a Honda or a Kia.

Your hairs are thin. That’s too much energy going into the follicles. It’s like killing an ant with a baseball bat.

1 Like

There is so much wrong here from over treatment to the placement of the work done. There was no thought to aesthetic feathering of hairs. Just a patch. I have been an Electrologist since 1991 specializing in Blend treatments. I love Michael Bono’s books! I was taught that Electrolysis, particularly on the face, should be done with little to no scabs. Doesn’t matter whether the Blend or Thermolysis is used. We were taught to read the skin and recognize over treatment happening. We had no preset treatments on the machines. We had to understand how the machines worked and how adjust settings. It is my opinion that now Electrologists depend too much on presets and don’t recognize over treatment when it is happening and scabbing is accepted as a normal part of treatments. I would be extremely upset if I had to walk around with visible scabs on my face for up to 2 week. Not acceptable by me and by my clients.
As for the make and model of the machine used, the machine is only as good as the Electrologist. I have a computerized machine that I never use the presets, but my favourite is my old Silhouet-tone. Technology is constantly changing, but Electrolysis is still the same. The companies have taken away the thinking part by adding presets. But it is not a one setting fits all science. Again, it is my opinion and only my opinion, a top Electrologist should be able to get results for their clients with little to no scabbing on the face.

1 Like

I agree with Joyce. I have been an electrologist for over 30 years and I have a Silhouet-Tone (S.T.) epilator and do not have preset settings.
The newest epilator called The Evolution 7HD sequential gives you full control of your treatments. Whether it’s with the manual or pre-programmed mode, this highly efficient device ensures a comfortable treatment (referenced from S.T. ad). This is not solicited just an example.
The epilator doesn’t matter, it’s the professional electrologist experience. It’s quality not quantity.

An electrologist should be licensed and or fully trained in electrology and her epilator. See the State Rules & Regulations where you live, there maybe a few states in USA, left that require little or no training. Some electrology training centers or schools offer a selection of epilators to view and work with for experience and knowledge. Massachusetts and New Hampshire has 1100 hours of training and take a state board exam and pass it to get your license.

As for the healing process the other replies have said it well, to give it weeks to heal and do not pick off the scabs. I would add after the treatment I like salt & warm water. Yes. It stings. Works amazing. Teaspoon of salt in your clean palm & mix with drops of warm water (paste consistency) and place on the treated area for a minute or two or so. Rinse well.

M21147 this is your face and skin, so if need be can you travel to get a great professional for permanent hair removal? If available see reviews on the place/electrologist or call a dermatologist for a referral.

Best wishes for happy zapping!

I am not an electrologist, but a long-past recipient of electrolysis, over which period I had work done by several different practitioners, most of whom were good. When I look back at the bad work I received, I was devoid of sufficient knowledge and too polite to kick up a fuss. Do not let this individual go anywhere near your face again.