Abnormal hair growth on neck

I had five laser hair removal sessions from 2004-2005 with the last one of this set ending in January 5. I had my face and upper part of my neck treated. After the fifth session, coarse long hairs grew along my neck!! Previously the hairs on my neck were fine and barely visible, but because they were black, they made my neck look darker than my face so I really wanted to get rid of the hairs. Anyways, I just waxed the abnormal hairs because I felt that getting more laser would make the hairs worse. I did go see a doctor to see if I had a hormonal problem. My blood tests results showed that there was no problem. Also, I went to see a dermatalogist about the hairs on my neck, she said that because I am Middle Eastern, the laser works against me and she said that her laser, being lastest technology, would help. I felt that she was more interested in selling me services than resolving my problem, and the pricing was hefty. Then months later in 2007, I found another laser center and showed the technician my hairs and she said that perhaps the previous laser center used a lower laser setting which can stimulate growth. Eight sessions later and another 1000 dollars down the drain, I still have the abnormal hair growth on my neck, and FYI there is only a partial reduction in the rest of my facial hair. After 13 sessions, you would expect complete bare skin!

My skin is light olive and my hairs are dark black so laser should work somewhat and certainly not be counterproductive. I have an appoinment with dermatalogist in a couple of weeks, I am not sure if he will be able to help me though I will share with you the details if anyone is interested.

Well has anyone has had any experience with this problem? Do you know what exacftly the problem is? What do you think I should do?

It sounds like your hair is too fine for laser. You should stop paying money to various dermatologist selling you their services and start looking for an experienced electrologist, because that’s probably the only permanent method that will be effective on your skin type and area. Unless you have dark coarse hair (like a beard or bikini) on your face, there is likely no laser that will affect it, and some that can stimulate the hair to become worse. Electrolysis is the way to go for you. Check out that section of this forum.

Yeah, I don’t think I will do laser ever again. Laser replaced the fine hairs on my neck with coarse hair that you would find on the bikini area. :mad:

I will definitely be considering electrolysis again but I will try the different methods that you dfahey have suggested. Thank you! :slight_smile:

If the hair is actually coarse now, it will probably be affected by laser with more treatments (given a good machine and someone knowledgeable using it). But you probably don’t trust laser at this point, so I say just go with electrolysis.

Actually the hair became coarse after the first five laser sessions, and then I had 8 more sessions from another center that did not benefit me.

This happened to my son on his back! This is why I am on this website; to get info. I have been in touch with a doctor who did a study on this a few years ago and she is trying to help once I get all his records to her. The hair on his back was too fine to laser. His doctor should have known this. But, with as many professionals I have spoken to, no one can guarantee that they can help. I will post new info when I get it.

I’m not sure what kind of help you’re looking for. Your soon needs electrolysis which is the recommended method for finer hair. Laser really only works on coarse hair.

I can’t believe I have found a person that has the SAME PROBLEM AS ME!