A sign of dermal over-treatment?

First two pictures are areas of concern. Pictures three and four show other areas I’ve done that seem “normal”. 20x magnification.

Using a ballet tapered TC medium probe inserted to full depth of the follicle (such that the end of the taper is just sticking out), 0.99 ma DC for 15 seconds w/4 pulses of 0.20s AC @ 60% via Apilus SX500. The areas of concern had to be treated twice to get something approximating an epilation*.

Basically, the areas in the first two pictures remind me of a temperature burn; the skin turned white and became fragile to the point where it could be scraped off. I’m guessing this is a sign I should be using insulated probes as the taper isn’t preventing the rise of the HF as much as needed?

*my facial hairs always result in a small feeling of traction when having electrolysis done in just about every provider I’ve seen, and in my own work as well. From what I understand this is due to having very large roots, as well as a side effect of having very stretchy skin due to a congenital collagen disorder.

Only could see one photo. The Ballet tapered TC (and I use them) are only appropriate for deep hairs. Ballet will not re-size their needles for other uses; because, well, “few people use them and ‘who cares’ anyway?” (Great attitude?)

I’d try Laurier insulated …

Laurier Probes are like gold and silver to me. I stock all brands, but Laurier is the highest quality probe I have ever used.

Ditto Dee Dee.

Additionally, Ballet is complacent … Laurier is not: they listen and produce ever more specialized needles.

I recommend that beginners start with (generic) Ballet and then as their skills improve, try (real) tapered and Laurier insulated … as they understand exactly what they want to achieve.

I don’t understand 0.99 ma DC … maybe a photo of your meter (at that level) would help me? (I would assume, from your data, that you are using 1 one-tenth of a milliampere … not enough. That would be less than 15 “units” at 15 seconds.)

Michael, the maximum DC current on SX-500 is 0.99mA or 1 mA. I have this machine.

SynViks, according to your setup, you use 150 UL 2 times (total 300 UL) and still you do not have smooth hair release.
There is something very wrong here.
First thing is to bring the machine to authorised service for proper verification and calibration.
Second, revise your insertion.The tapered Ballet TC medium length is 8 mm (from the tip to the end of the taper).Check your hair depth for proper insertion.If you do not use good vision maybe you completely miss the follicle.In each case this is a lot of lye (plus HF) and you can make deep dermal damage.I do not even speak for the HF you use on top of that.

1,2 impulses(1sec impulse) with 0.99mA DC and proper HF set up is what you need to release deep beard hair.

Dimi

@Dimi: The machine was purchased in 2016 as a refurbished unit from Dectro, so I’d be surprised if it has gone so far out of calibration between then and now (and it’s a purely solid state device so shipping shouldn’t have that much effect on it).

I’ll admit to being wanting of proper magnification, however I’ve confirmed my some of insertions with a 20x loupe, and generally the probe won’t puncture my skin; there’s not really anywhere else for it to go aside from the follicle. I insert deep enough until I feel it bottom out, which on occasion requires going past some resistance due to the tapered nature of the probe. Once the DC starts the probe will slide in a little deeper (I’m assuming the lye acts as a lubricant). Generally I’m inserted deep enough to where the skin isn’t far from the end of the taper. I don’t think I’m puncturing the wall as, on the times where I’ve practices insertions and done so, blood was visible, and that hasn’t been the case for the majority of times.

My professional provider uses a Fischer machine, with four second treatments; two pulses of AC and maybe 0.6mA DC. They aren’t able to get perfectly smooth releases of my hair for the most part as there’s always a little bit of tugging… but that could be due to massive roots or skin defects, hard to say. I believe they’ve put 27 hours in to my upper lip alone and there is still some hair present.

My machine was calibrated 6 months ago and I had a problem.In some modalities the galvanic did not work, so I sent the machine 2 times to Dectro to fix the problem.I also assumed that my machine is fine and blamed my technic.Anyway if your machine is fine you will have to work on your technic. It is not possible with 300UL and HF to not smoothly release the biggest and deepest hair.

I realized that the problem might be caused by the probe holder; I was using K shank probes in an F shank holder, and didn’t realize because they weren’t marked, and the K shank probes fit in the F holder with the cap screwed on tight.

I borrowed an uninsulated sterex F shank probe for further testing, and am having much better luck on my legs and chest. However I’m still getting odd behavior on my face; on occasion I’ll treat a follicle on the face, and with the HF pulse the skin will form a white circular area around the follicle (whereas it was read before), and make a sort of divot or “crater” in the skin via essentially a “liquidation” of the epidermis (a picture is attached)

I do not believe insertion is the problem here; there is no puncturing of skin and the follicle wall isn’t being breached with the probe inserted at full depth. I did hear a slight crackle when this happened (though also crackle on other hairs as well without a “crater”). And as said, I do not have this problem on chest nor legs.

If it is indeed HF crawling up the probe, I guess insulated are the only option. It’s worth noting that my electrolysis provider, using uninsulated probes via a Fischer blend machine, does not have this problem (I imagine as it is blend heavy vs HF heavy?).

1 Like