A possible solution

Hi everyone,

Just a bit of background about myself, I am a 20 something Indian girl and I have a background in health sciences as well as molecular biology. I have been treated with Gentlelase, both Alexandrite and YAG versions, for two years each about 10 treatments on each on my face. I have also had gentlase on my armpits and bikini, a botched trial on my abdomen, and then Intense Pulsed Light (I think Quantum) on my entire abdomen. The result was that everything got rid of my hair completely and safely but TEMPORARILY*!!! So that means for about four weeks there was nothing…and then everything comes back.

I will explain my idea but first let me say we are all in the same boat and we are all trying to find solutions…so before you jump all over me and criticise me let me explain that my goal isn’t for everyone, we all don’t want the same things or agree on the best way to achieve it, but I think this would make millions of people happy. I would love to have no hair forrever but due to dark skin, electrolysis is the only way to get enough power for permanent damage. Doing electrolysis on my entire body is not in my realm of possibility (if it is for you than you may not like my idea.)
But for some of us, the prospect of being completely smooth and hair free (no stuble, no ingrowns) for four weeks at a time is too good to be true. I suggest that we as consumers use our powers of dictating the market and DEMAND that the laser manufacturers design an afordable and safe home unit that removes hair temporarily. …Ok here is where I feel the fire down my back…everyone relax for just a minute…count to ten. First of all, Laser does not even remove hair temporarily for everyone and it can cause scarring and you have to be very skilled…yes I understand. I am not saying that there is a product like what I want out there right now…I am just saying that I think it could be out there but we are not puting enough pressure on the companies to make it available.

I have talked to a few cosmetic MD’s about this (the kind one who performed IPL on me and told me it was only temporary) and they seem to think that at low power levels, hair is easily temporarily removed but it will grow back (like laser waxing). They ALSO say that at lower energy levels, there is AN INCREDILBY LOW risk of skin damage.

This is my suggestion, that we demand an at home laser that is safe and temporarily removes hair. I have seen my tech working and it looks much easier and less cumbersome than waxing (which, if you think about it, can cause permanent hair and skin damage but there are no restrictions against at home waxing.) I know people are afraid of the lawsuits and eye protection…but there are a lot of risky and dangerous cosmetic and non-cosmetic products out there…I feel like we should be able to get around that. I think the technology is out there, the need is out there, i’m not sure how expensive it would be but I feel that it could be made cheaper if it only operates on low energy levels. I have heard about Gillette and Palomar and Radiancy’s no-no. (see http://www.finwin.com/finwin/home/headlinesdisplay.cfm?story=7947276&nojs=false and http://www.my-no-no.com/ for more information) I think those are in response to some demand…we need to push it. I say we send e-mails to every laser company and cosmetic based corporation and tell them what we want. Imagine if they receive letters from all of us…and our friends and their friends. I think this “magical” product could have been out years ago.

Like I said, I have a science background, not a business one, so if I am naive…tell me, but gently, I do have some hope in this idea. I for one think the technology is certainly available, but some sort of stigma against lasers or even large companies that don’t have a vested interest in this, are preventing it from sprouting. I am not suggesting that laser techs are not skilled or don’t need training…I am saying that they could make a product that is safe enough for the average joe to use with more than satisfactory results of no stuble, no having to grow hair to wax it, no ingrowns (for some of us at least.) and a lot more peace of mind!!!

What do you think…who wants to join my cause!!!

And sorry this was so long, I appreciate you taking the time to read it.