A NYC doctor rates the different laser devices.

http://www.laserhairremovalreview.com/comparison.html

What does anyone thing of Dr. Harvey Jay’s (NYC) summary of the different types of laser hair removal equipment?

Is he accurate or only plugging the machine that he owns?

David :

I detect a little bit of bias in that review! He shows no negatives for the IPL system. Most others in the laser field will tell you that IPL has more potential for side effects. I haven’t seen much long-term data on effectiveness either for IPL either. I am anxious to see Anreas’s comments on this.

I would think that since IPL uses such a wide range of wavelengths that there would be a greater likelihood of burning the skin. But maybe with an experienced IPL user it would be very safe and effective.

He also said that Nd:YAG are very painful. That is not what I have heard at all.

Just my .02 worth

RJC2001

Hi David!

Dr. Harvey H. Jay is among a small group of hair removal practitioners who are very aggressive marketers. Dr. Jay owns numerous websites to promote his practice (sales pitches in quotations are his own words):

MDLaserDerm.com
“Dr. Jay’s main website - Shows photos of our results and much more information about Ultimate™ Pulsed Light treatment.”

LaserHairRemovalReview.com
“Information for selecting the best light system and physician for your hair removal needs.”

IngrownHairs.com
“Information about ingrown hairs and treatment of all skin colors plus an animated explanation of ingrown hairs.”

“Dr. Jay’s dramatic Pulsed Light treatment of Rosacea and its symptoms. Rosacea is a facial rash of prominent redness and sometimes pimples.”

IntensePulsedLightReview.com
“Pulsed Light and Lasers - an explanation and comparison, including answers to frequently asked questions.”

Epilight.net
“A comprehensive resource about EpiLight, a machine developed to remove unwanted hair.”

Acne.net
“A comprehensive resource about acne and its treatment.”

His sites all extol the virtues of flash lamps or Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) for a variety of treatments and position it as a wonder device that’s better than lasers.

Generally speaking, any time I see this much heavy marketing, I recommend that consumers take a somewhat skeptical stance about claims. There are electrologists and other doctors who do this as well, and they start to veer a bit into overpromise.

Given that many IPL places have been spectacular failures (i.e., the Vanishing Point chain), I am a bit more inclined to suggest that consumers look into lasers. They usually have more clinical data and better anecdotal reports of safety and effectiveness. As RJC2001 points out, it may be more likely to get overtreated with a flash lamp in the wrong hands. Operator skill is paramount.

Dr. Jay has some good information, but it’s defintiely a sales pitch at its heart. Take the claims with that in mind.