A few technical questions

How many different spot sizes are used? I’ve seen mention of 15 mm and 18mm. Are there more?

What is the range of joules used?

Is this machine specific or equal across the boards? In other words, say I have an 18mm spot size on a GentleLase. Would the recommended joules for this machine differ than from another type of machine? If so, how so?

I have my first real treatment on Monday and based what you guys are saying, I need to have the joules upped for success. I need to have logical arguments and facts when I go in. My first question to my tech is why she started at 10, 12 and 14 (the latter only at my insistence) joules when from what I’m reading, others seem to start higher.

Thank you.

How many different spot sizes are used? I’ve seen mention of 15 mm and 18mm. Are there more?

What is the range of joules used?

Is this machine specific or equal across the boards? In other words, say I have an 18mm spot size on a GentleLase. Would the recommended joules for this machine differ than from another type of machine? If so, how so?

I have my first real treatment on Monday and based what you guys are saying, I need to have the joules upped for success. I need to have logical arguments and facts when I go in. My first question to my tech is why she started at 10, 12 and 14 (the latter only at my insistence) joules when from what I’m reading, others seem to start higher.

Thank you.

With the Gentlelase and the 18mm spot size, the maximum fluence available is only 20J. That is a waste of time IMHO. I would find another practitioner with a better machine or a smaller spot size.

RJC2001

GentleLASE spot sizes are changeable. With 18mm spot size, 20 joules is max. But if they decrease the spot size to 12mm for example, they can go much higher. I just had a treatment with GentleLASE at 12mm at 30 joules. I’m a type II and those were definitely pretty high, especially noticing the effect on my skin. I did have good results on all coarse hair with 18mm and 14 or 16 joules, but now that the hair that’s left and sparse is fine, we upped the settings. How high you can go also depends on how light your skin is, you don’t want to get burned, but you do want the maximum power without getting burned.

Techs start low sometimes because they’re not experienced enough to pick the right high settings and are afraid of burning you. But that approach is not the best approach for best results. That’s why tech’s experience is so important.