A few months into my journey...some questions!

Hi everyone,
I started electrolysis in mid-march of this year, and have since been going in roughly once every two weeks. I’ve noticed a slight difference only, but I’m committed to this for the long haul. My questions…

1. My facial hair was caused by synthetic hormones in BC (I wasn’t born with it and have only been dealing with it for about a year), and I’ve read that natural bio-identical progesterone can help diminish or completely halt hormone based hair growth. Is there truth to this? I’ve also heard that once dormant hair grows, it’s pretty much here to stay…which is it?
  2. My hair is fairly fine (the problem is that I have fair skin and black hair). Will this lessen the overall time it takes for me to complete electrolysis?
  3. Speaking of completing electrolysis, how long does it generally take? I know it varies from person to person, but I’m looking for an average to expect.
  4. Electrolysis so far has been CRAZY painful for me. I’m not sure why. I drink enough water, almost never drink coffee or alcohol in general (let alone before a procedure), and take good care of my skin. I used LMX before my last treatment and saw about a 50% improvement, but I’d like something stronger. Any advice for people who are super sensitive like me?
  5. How often and how long is generally ideal for electrolysis (example: 1 hour weekly)? My electrologist hasn’t given me a precise time frame, saying it’s up to me.

That just about covers it, for now. Thanks for any and all advice!

1. My facial hair was caused by synthetic hormones in BC (I wasn’t born with it and have only been dealing with it for about a year), and I’ve read that natural bio-identical progesterone can help diminish or completely halt hormone based hair growth. Is there truth to this?

I don’t know the answer to that question.

I’ve also heard that once dormant hair grows, it’s pretty much here to stay…which is it?

It is generally believed that once a hair follicle has turned on to grow a hair, it will join in the unsynchronized cycle of growing hairs.

1. My hair is fairly fine (the problem is that I have fair skin and black hair). Will this lessen the overall time it takes for me to complete electrolysis?

Skin and hair color are not factors in the success of your electrolysis treatments. Skin and hair color will not affect the length of time it takes.

1. Speaking of completing electrolysis, how long does it generally take? I know it varies from person to person, but I’m looking for an average to expect.

Others might give a different length of time, but I tell clients that the average length of time is 18 months of consistent treatments. Some are done sooner, some take longer.

1. Electrolysis so far has been CRAZY painful for me. I’m not sure why. I drink enough water, almost never drink coffee or alcohol in general (let alone before a procedure), and take good care of my skin. I used LMX before my last treatment and saw about a 50% improvement, but I’d like something stronger. Any advice for people who are super sensitive like me?

There are OTC products that can be taken. Pain relievers and/or benadryl can help. Having exercised before a session can raise endorphins - that might help. Getting relaxed - clients tell me that they go into this “zone”…

1. How often and how long is generally ideal for electrolysis (example: 1 hour weekly)? My electrologist hasn’t given me a precise time frame, saying it’s up to me.

This totally depends on several things. How much hair is there? What methods, if any, were you using to remove the hair prior to electrolysis? Often the electrologist will make a recommendation during the consultation, but know that it is up to the client to budget their time and money for treatments.

Wishing you the best!

Thank you so much for your reply! Very helpful advice. But for #2 I was referring to the texture of my hair - it’s not coarse. Would that lessen the time it takes for my hair to be gone completely?

Sorry…I missed replying to your point!!! The texture of the hair (diameter) does not mean that finer means less time or coarser means more time. It’s the number of hair follicles that are treated that will determine how long it takes. A thousand fine hairs will take the same length of time as a thousand coarse hairs.