A Crazy Idea for Loupe Head fitting

So I’ve been casually searching for good deals on microscopes for a while now, because I can’t wear loupes for a reason—My skull is sensitive to pressure & I get migraines. I have been a bit disheartened as they seem to be quite finicky in needing minute adjustments frequently from what I’ve gathered.

Before I got LASIK I had to wear pince nez because the pressure of spectacle arms would cause headaches practically immediately, even the loops that wrap around earlobes. The nose pinching arrangement would be unsuitable for something heavy like loupes though.

Now, do any of you wear formal hats? Not talking dog hats like fedoras, but the stiff hard type like top hats, bowlers & homburgs. I do, & the way they are fitted is that a strange pair of devices called a formillion & conformateur record the minute imperfections on you skull & create a stiff hatband that equally distributes pressure around your head. The majority of these machines (google image) are thousands of bucks & vintage, but any hatter worth his salt will carry one o block hats.

I’ve had this process done in my formal hats & the difference is night & day! I can go a whole day wearing a form fitted hat & forget it’s there. Then I recalled that there are headband type loupes—intend to get my hatter to make a custom headband as for a hat to fit in one of this type of loupe.

Have any of y’all tried this?

1 Like