1st electrolysis visit NY, NY summary

Hello,

I went to Shizuka on 51st Street for treatment on my breasts and a bit on my top lip (after being referred by a doctor) and thought I’d give some details.

First of all, the two professionals I’ve met there have been very nice, answered all questions, give a big explanation at the free preliminary consultation, etc. They try to make you comfortable, and the place is kind of small, quiet and low-key, so the atmosphere is pretty comfortable anyway. They use disposable needles, the space looks pretty clean, they have gold needles and other sizes if you have bad reactions to what they are using, medical certification is up on the walls-- as I said, they are pretty open about giving you information. The only thing I didn’t like about the openness was I felt like I was being a little pressured to get laser done and not electrolysis, but the areas I want taken care of are fairly small.

Because of my schedule, I couldn’t get an appointment with Shizuka until too far out (I was afraid I’d wuss out if I waited that long), so I had my first appointment done by one of her associates. It took about twenty minutes (which was a little annoying because you can only pay in 15 minute intervals-- $40/15 minutes with Shizuka, $35/15 minutes with anyone else).

She started by putting alcohol on my skin and putting on gloves and a mask. It wasn’t too painful at the beginning, and she finished one breast fairly quickly. The other ended up being more painful and took much longer to do. I don’t know if that’s because she was working from a different angle or the hairs are just harder to take out on one side. Sometimes it felt as if she might be pulling the hair out, but she may have just been grabbing the detattched hair out with the needle. Since it was the first time I had it done, I really couldn’t tell. I figure I’ll know when they start growing back in. Since I had some time left for 30 minutes, she asked if I wanted anything else done, and I showed her the spot on my lip.

My reaction to this has been that my breasts were a little sore the rest of the day, but completely painless by the next. The following day I had a lot of red bumps, not scabs, just raised skin, and there were more on the breast that felt harder to do. There were no marks or bumps on my lip, however. The second day, I started getting pinpoint scabs were the red bumps had been. Again, they don’t hurt, but it’s been a couple of days and I still have those, which seems normal enough. They told me to come back in a month for 30 minutes, and I think I’ll try to schedule with Shizuka if I can. I don’t know if that will end up being better because, being the first time, I’m still not sure what’s normal pain levels (which were never TOO bad, maybe a little flinching) and reactions, but I’m curious to see if it would be. I don’t know if I’d recommend them yet because I have to see what happens after a couple more times first, but they are nice and informed and comfortable. Let me know if you have any questions!

Remember that we do tell everyone here to get as many consultations and sample treatments with as many practitioners as possible.

You will find that practitioners who perform Electrolysis only will also have you pay by the minute after their initial treatment minimums are met. You also won’t be pressured to do other services, although you may be asked about what other areas you may be interested in doing. Most Electrolysis Only professionals would charge you for 20 minutes if that was all you used, and 40 minutes if that were all you used.