12 months, 100 hours, no/very little results- MN

Seana I haven’t had 100 hours of treatment but had my consult yesterday and my first session. I had hoped my electrologist would be more like the ones I see on here with the Clear and Wait strategy or at least sound positive that each hair would be killed off in the anagen stage. She even said some people could not be treated with electro and had had a few clients (4) who didn’t respond to treatment :frowning:
I will answer your questions though, I tweezed for about 5-6 years and stopped 4 weeks ago so I know that hair that was tweezed will take a while to grow back.
My main area of concern right now is my chin (2 small patches either side of my chin and my underneck area. Also sporadic terminal hairs around my upper lip but not many.
My nipples (hides in shame) are my other area of concern. Terminal dark hairs all round my areolas. Been tweezing here for about 10 years.
I only started treatment yesterday so have had one session. I did try and take pics but they didn’t come out clear enough to show the hair.
Didn’t feel any plucking
Today it’s a bit sore but no reaction (a little red though)
It seems so difficult (and I’ve done a LOT of phoning around) to find an electrologist that seems confident in their kill rate.
I don’t mind the long slog as long as I know I will end up hair free but I just don’t get that confidence from the electrologists round here.
Mairi is sadly 6 hours drive from me. So I’m saving her for a big job. Need to get my face sorted first!

Sigh, I really need to start looking at posters names…sorry about that sky.

Seana

Sky123, I’d like you to answer one question: Look closely at this picture, and tell me if in your opinion there are hairs that can be treated by Electrolysis. When I have your answer, I will give an explanation.

“The electrologist has nearly 30 year electro experience. She said even if the hair was in the anagen stage it could be treated 5-6 times before it died.”

I’m going to have to read that sentence a few hundred times before it sinks in. (Jossie, are you ready to escape to Argentina?)

Josefa, I would have said yes because I thought ALL hair could be treated with electro.
I know it’s supposed to be easier to treat them when the hair is virgin and hasn’t been tweezed or waxed for years.
What worried me even more was she said there were some people whose hair just didn’t respond to electro. :frowning:

He he, YES!, if you are ready, I am too. Patagonia seems to be far enough…

Ok, let’s go in order. I will respond to each point of your two previous comments. So in your opinion, do you think it is reasonable that this woman wants to get rid of these hairs? or conversely, you think “the problem” is in her head? to be more specific, do you think she’s crazy?

It depends which hairs you mean. If it;s the sideburn hair then yes I think it’s reasonable she would want rid of those. I can see some more sparse hair on the side of her face and also see why she would want rid but I don’t know if it’s possible.
I don’t think she is crazy because once we are conscious of something like unwanted hair somewhere it;s all we can see (even if no-one else notices it)

I mean absolutely all the hairs that you can see, and certainly not all of them can only be removed, but this was achieved with 3 clearances.

I understand that some people prefer not to remove finer hairs, perhaps because they don’t feel comfortable doing so or simply because they prefer to dedicate their time to removing those hairs with juicier roots. However, what I don’t understand and what doesn’t seem right to me, is that clients are made to believe that the removal of these finer hairs is something unachievable or difficult to achieve.

An electrologist tried to convince this girl there was nothing left to do , and that the “problem” was just in her head.

And here’s the proof

Your client must be thrilled with that result Josefa.
I know I would be.
I think in the UK the problem is that there just doesn’t seem to be the electrologists of your skill out there.
I mean there must be LOTS of them out there highly skilled but I just can’t seem to find one that seems confident in doing what you do (and I don’t mean to offend any UK electrologists) near to me. The Clear and WAit doesn’t seem to be a huge UK practice either. So I can understand it when someone says they have had many hours of electro with little to no results because they will not see the dramatic results of the 3 clearing strategy which we are all wanting

This last picture does not show the results, but the appearance of the skin just after finishing the first complete clearance. I do not care if the electrologists in the UK (or in the rest of the world, including Spain) prefer opt to work the way they were taught, while they do not call us LIARS who do things differently, or “CRAZY” to customers who ask for something that is entirely possible.

A couple thoughts.

First, maybe the electrologist that said "all hairs have to be zapped 5 - 6 times” was too lazy to explain the “shedding cycle?” Frankly, I do understand because clients almost never “get it” and start complaining bitterly when they see “ALL THE HAIRS” coming back.

Then again, back when I was 25-year-old and getting my back worked on, “my” electrologist (25 years experience) had never heard of the “shedding cycle.” She was a graduate of New York’s “Kree International Institute.” (I love the names these trade-schools call themselves! I’m waiting for the “Inter-planetary Institute of Advanced Education.” “Inter-Galactic?”

During my tenure in Europe, I have to say, I found the British particularly pedestrian in their “electrology understanding.” Basically, non-receptive to new thinking. Not so the Dutch.

In 1980 I visited the STIVAS (Netherlands) and watched their “hands-on” electrology exam. The students had to work on a model’s legs. The instructor was watching to see that the “whole root” was removed. If the student was unlucky enough to remove a hair in telogen, she failed. The STIVAS examiner thought the hair had “broken off!”

I consulted with the STIVAS, showed them evidence of “telogen” … (books and all). Subsequently the Dutch exam was immediately changed. (All the kids that failed the test were given notice and passed). Dutch, Germans, Swedes, and Norwegians: all SUPER open-minded. I never encountered this receptiveness in Britain (and, as I’ve said, I’m an Anglophile.)

“Post-Empire hubris?” Something we are getting here in the United States too!

This is one of those statements that make no sense to me. Can anyone put his hand into a pot of boiling water and not burn? NO!. In these 4 cases may have involved other factors outside electrolysis, for example, that the client did not cooperate and was pulling the hairs between sessions.

This is a very good sign.

No doubt you’ll be in VERY good hands. :slight_smile:

Let see if I can clarify more on my original post. The first lady I went to when I started electrolysis I went to for 2 hours a week for about 2-3 months. In that time she cleared both underarms and my eyebrows. I then moved and started going to this other lady who from what I’m reading on timing must have been very slow because in two hours she couldn’t even clear one underarm. So after a few months I started going to her for an hour and a third lady for an hour (so two hours a week) and I would ALMOST have both underarms cleared. My eyebrows I would have done for 20-30 minutes every other week about. The lady I’m currently going to I have been seeing for 6 or more months an hour a week. I usually get my eyebrows taken care of and one underarm (maybe with a few hairs not taken care of). So at this point it’s about an underarm an hour, every week and has been so for the last 9 months. (I hope this is making sense, forgive me it’s late here). I stopped tweezing my eyebrows when I started electrolysis. As far as shaving my underarms, for about 6 months I shaved maybe once a month, like if I was going on a date and didn’t want a hairy armpit… for the past maybe 4-5 months I haven’t shaved. I was never an avid shaver/tweezer… only when I really needed it (I’m 24 btw). Yes I can typically feel some current and usually the hairs come out smooth as far as I can tell… I usually use a numbing cream but can still tell pretty well. Typically there are also small red bumps. …I feel like I’m forgetting to mention something someone had asked about but if you need more clarification please ask away. From the sounds of it I need to find yet another place for this service. :frowning: Feeling really discouraged and taken advantage of. Thousands of dollars down the drain… I just want this to work.

When you do find someone really efficient, you will know the difference, immediately. Any possibility of photographs so we can view the extent and density of these hairs? Occasionally I treat an ares that takes way over the average number of hours, but not to this extent. Can anyone here help to point you in the right direction if you give your location? I feel very badly for you.

ok so lets do some quick math. 2hrs a week X 3 mo = 24 hours. You did the same again with different practitioners so another 24 or 25 hours. ( I’ll say 25 for these because not all months have 4 weeks) Then 9 months at 1 hour a week so 4X9 =36

so 25 + 25 + 36= 86 hopurs of treatment roughly.

Ouch. Considering a good pro should clear that much in 8-9 hours, with fewer hours on further clearances, you should have been finished in less than 1/3 of that. Yep, you need to go to a new pro. Even if you travelled half way accross the continent to see one, it would still be cheaper than seeing the ones you are now.

Seana

I had this same issue i.e. treated areas that kept coming back week after week after week. It’s your electrologist and/or equipment. I don’t know the electrology lingo, but find an electrologist that uses a fiber optic lense and uses the machine that makes the beep…beep…beep sound.

I went through 2 electrologists, one year and many hours wasted with little results, until I saw my third electrologist whom uses the aforementioned equipment. Really, results should be noticed after the first session… that’s how it was in my case, at least.