10joules ...IS IT OK?

I had my first treatment on my chest and abdomen.
Even though I don’t really have coarse hair, the setting was 10joules. Is it ok if it is the first treatment?
People hear are saying 20,30,40 or whatever and I’m quite worried.

also, is this right?
the more energy(joules) you set,the more pain you feel?

What laser was being used? Was it IPL?

10 Joules sounds too low to me! Did you feel anything during treatments? Have you shed any hair yet? You should start shedding between 2 and 3 weeks. If not, the treatment was most likely useless.

RJC 2001

gentlelase
no shedding yet…

you didn’t answer my last question.
If you set higher energy, does it mean more pain?

Dear Puremaind,

I would be interested in knowing what your Fitzpatrick skin type is.

10J would indicate that your skin is darker.
If you are light skinned, then I don’t know why 10J was used.

Also, since your abdomen was treated, your tech. used a larger spot size, yes? Maybe an 18? In that case, the larger spot would require the lower J.

Pain? Well I don’t know if a higher J necessarily means more pain. Pulse duration and spot size and other factors need to be considered. What do you say RJC?

In any event, at this point, I still don’t think laser is the ideal treatment for unwanted hair but as long as one is going to be choosing laser, one might as well seek the laser that is most appropriate for their skin type and keeps the hair away the longest and most importantly of all, find a practitioner who knows what they are doing.

gentlelase
no shedding yet…

you didn’t answer my last question.
If you set higher energy, does it mean more pain?

All other things being equal, higher fluence usually means more pain. Unless of course you go from 10 to 11 joules or something like that. In that case it would make little or no difference.

RJC2001

I’ve used GentleLASE from 14 joules to 30 joules. Yes, 30 is a bit more painful, but it’s not a huge difference. 10 joules on GentleLASE is WAY too low for effective treatment. And if your skin is dark and that’s why they’re using low settings to avoid burning you, you shouldn’t be using this laser at all. A Yag laser would be best in that case.