Useful visualization of follicle stem cells

Excellent, I will order some Ballet today and have a look. Actually, it has been a very long time since I tried them. I wonder what the “clear coating” is (?) … I’m going to talk to Paisner today. He’s a very “straight shooter” (mostly). (Sorry, I just had to do the “Mark Twain thing.” I’m reading Twain again.)

I will say the tips of the Ballet are excellent. I have not found the tips of the Ballet-tapered as good … a bit rough. Laurier tips are just fine (“mostly” — add smiley face here).

I’m also wondering which needle can be shown to cause the “best” HF insulation. I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen the “egg white” (or similar analog) test on the Ballet. I have on the Laurier and it’s pretty impressive.

If somebody has those photos, why not post them here (the Ballet, I mean).

Dee beat me to my answer! But, I will add that there is a different “reflection” from the insulated part of the ballet insulated AND I’m using 2.3 (3.2?) zeiss magnifying glasses.

I’ll take this hijacked thread down one more road and mention that sometimes a client will start the appointment insisting that there are hairs in a certain area. I cannot see them, I cannot feel them, I move my light around and still - cannot see them. So, I’ll work elsewhere and remember to return to that area. Eventually, I return to that area and find those hairs. It’s like they grew during that time, but I know that’s not true. I wonder if it takes a little time for my “rods and cones” to adjust to what I’m looking for.

I think someone(Michael Bono?) mentioned the book The Goddess and the Alphabet (or some name like that). I have not read the book, but have a client who gives me great book reports while I work on her. She talked about what happened to humans to allow them to be able to comprehend the alphabet…and something about when the natives in America were first visited by the ships from Europe, that they would not have even seen them as they came over the horizon. It has something to do with having never seen such a thing and not expecting to see such a thing. So, when the ships arrived at shore, it was like magic!

My point is that when we look for something, sometimes it IS right in front of us, but for some reason, we do not SEE (recognize?) it.

For me, the length of the tip (non-insulated) ideal is one that allows work at any moment the entire cycle of a same follicle. I.e., a size that works if you decide to use the strategy “wait and clear”, as if your strategy is “only anagen”. If the tip has the ideal length, you don’t need to go “up and down” because the first shot covers the bulb (if anagen) and the second shot covers the istmus, present at all stages and fundamental for the permanent disposal (I would say that even more than the papilla).
If we take into account that Joseph Laurier adapted probes in an era in which “only anagen” was considered the only chance of success, it is admirable that he succeeded with exact measures.

Beate, hair guide offers clues to know the time of the cycle and therefore the depth of the follicle and the exact location where the tip should be placed. Michael can explain better than me.

For me, the length of the tip (non-insulated) ideal is one that allows work at any moment the entire cycle of a same follicle. I.e., a size that works if you decide to use the strategy “wait and clear”, as if your strategy is “only anagen”. If the tip has the ideal length, you don’t need to go “up and down” because the first shot covers the bulb (if anagen) and the second shot covers the istmus, present at all stages and fundamental for the permanent disposal (I would say that even more than the papilla).
If we take into account that Joseph Laurier adapted probes in an era in which “only anagen” was considered the only chance of success, it is admirable that he succeeded with exact measures.

Beate, hair guide offers clues to know the time of the cycle and therefore the depth of the follicle and the exact location where the tip should be placed. Michael can explain better than me.
[/quote]

I can see the benefit of seeing where the insulation is. The sterex needle (non-insulated) was my number one choice when using a Fischer epilator. Insulated…it (2-piece sterex) exposes only the tip of the electrolysis needle/probe, which is too little for the majority of my work.

I’m really coming to the belief that our individual techniques may be the determining factor in the results.

“I’m really coming to the belief that our individual techniques may be the determining factor in the results.”

I think that the above statement is “it,” absolutely. Each modality and technique utilizes the various instruments at our disposal, in different ways. The actual strategies we employ are different as well.

For example, if I actually attempted to CLEAR a man’s full beard in a few days (as some of you do), the patient would end up in the hospital! My “technique” certainly mandates a much different strategy: careful thinning to a specific point and, only then, can I “clear.”

By the way, how do you get those quotes in those neat little boxes? I suppose you “click” something? I suppose I could experiment, but I’m too lazy. Please “learn me.”

A quickie about the quotes:

i often write the tags by hand:

[ quote] some text [/quote]

Without the space after the leading [ … that was needed to prevent the forum software to display the little box.

Do You see the label “Quote” below each contribution? Click it and delete everything You do not want to quote. Most importand: You will see the correct syntax.

EDIT: if You see the editor (i usually don’t and don’t need to…) there is a button labeled as [color:#009900]"[/color]. Just mark the text to be quoted and hit that button.

I completely agree about the value of being able to see the insulation on the probe, and also about having the ideal length of tip exposed for the hair you are treating as Josefa mentioned above.

Both the pro-tec isogard and laurier probes are excellent in that regard since they have varying amount of tip exposed depending on the probe diameter.

I like the pro-tec isoblend probes sometimes for deep insertion also, I believe they always have 50% of the probe exposed whereas the largest diameter isoguard has maybe 35-40% exposed.

Michael: At the bottom of each post the reader will see some “links” that included QUOTE and QUICK QUOTE. If you click on one of them, then the complete post will show up in the window that allows you to write a post. In this example, I deleted all but the topic I was answering.

Yes t4ngent, the value of being able to see the insulation on the probe allows you to insert the proper depth if you are working with hairs at different stages. This happens when you use the strategy “wait for all the hairs are present” (specifically for the body). Most of the hairs will have reached a stage of rest, and therefore the follicles have been reduced to one-third of its original size. The probe should be inserted very superficially, because the tip will stop when it reaches the barrier at the base of the follicle. If the tip is bulbous, you can feel better this resistance.

For those who do not have this sense of “stop”, the guide hair provides sufficient clues to find out where the tip should be placed. In the last segment of each hair (a couple of millimeters) is the key. Perhaps this picture helps to better understand.

Why do you think that there is very little difference in sensation between the stainless and the insulated Ballet, while there is a big improvement with the Laurier IBP?

Such “hair guide” meant to be identified by naked eye or under proper magnification?

It depends on both Your eyes and the hair. If the latter are really thick, this can be seen even with poor magnification. On super fine hair even my 6X loupe is close to its limits.

Josefa. Can you tell me which mode and setting you use for telogen hairs, grains of salt! I have trouble getting them to slide out? Also, which probe do you use? Laurier IBP? I’m concerned about working too close to the ‘critical layer’ of the skin. Dee did tell me, but I can’t find the thread to re read it? Thanks Josefa.

Do not be afraid to make a very shallow insertion Dolly. There will be very little reaction if you use an insulated. Use no more than 90 els, and if the hair does not come with a pedal stroke, give twice, but if you use 180 els, you will be dessicating and your probe will fill of dead tissue.

Yes, very true! Josefa, are you working in MultiPlex with these levels? I think that is what Dolly would like to know.

When the Dectro electrologists described the ‘grain of salt’ hairs, they were suggesting that MultiPlex thermolysis be used because the slow thermolysis at the beginning , increases the porosity of the follicle ( brings moisture into the follicle) and the quick burst of PicoFlash at the end (or microflash, depending on the epilator model one is using), will dislodge the hair. I have found that Synchro, set to lower el’s will also make hay of those stubborn white grains of salt.