Update on My Results - GentleLASE on Bikini & Underarms; Type II

Hello, I’m new here and the forum’s discussions/questions really interest me. I am about to start my laser treatments and I am having doubts when it comes to treating my face or not. I have long black hairs but they’re very fine, with a few thicker ones. They don’t really bothered me as I can remove them and bleach the rest of fine hairs. But, many of my friends treated their faces (mainly upper lip and sideburns) with laser - even though some of them have even finer hair than I do, and it either worked for them or did not (but did not make it worse) so I’m tempted to do it since it won’t really cost me much. However, the whole idea of laser making facial hair worse scares me.

From what I understood, LAgirl, you treated your stomach’s fine hair and it did not work, but did it make it worse? Does laser worsen all fine hairs or just facial ones? What are the reasons behind this?

Your reply is appreciated!

Hello LAgirl, your posts are very helpful. I wanted to ask you a few questions. I recently started laser for underarms. The tech is using GentleYag. The settings were 12J, 12mm spot width (don’t know the pulse). Did not feel much pain (just slight tingling-she was using the cooling technique) during the treatment. I haven’t noticed any shedding but it has only been a week. I have south asian skin type between 4 and 5. Do you think the settings were too low for me. What’s a good way to let the tech know to increase the settings because she mentioned to use low setting due to possibility of a burn especially for pigmented skin.
Thanks

Give it a week or two more for shedding.

I don’t know the settings for the GentleYAG but I assume they can’t be too different from the Apogee Elite YAG at the same spot size? So for 12mm I’d expect joules to be in the 30-40J range.

Are you sure they were using the 12mm spot size and not 15mm or 18mm?

In my experience, underarm Laser was very painful but thankfully over quickly. I did not use any numbing cream.

This may help:
http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/48511/gn1.html#Post48511

Hey LAgirl! I think this is probably the fourth or fifth time I’ve read through your treatment diary in the past three or four years. Awesome, awesome, awesome! Gives me so much hope. I can see that everyone has asked you numerous times how the treatment areas are, but I’m burning to know now, two years since the last reply, if everything is as you left it?

Have you pursued any more treatments in new or old areas?

Also, I’m looking at getting some LHR done alongside electrolysis to clear most of my body. Skintype III (I believe); very pale when I’m not tan with thick, coarse hair. I rarely burn in the summer (part Native but I don’t get the olive skintone until I’ve been in the sun). Would you go for a Cynosure Apogee Elite or a CoolGlide (1064nm) laser?

I’m assuming the CoolGlide is also an Alexandrite laser because of its wavelength? I’m just wondering which you think, given the technicians were thorough with treatments, would give better results?

Thanks for your time! (Yet again!)
– Connor

Quick update. Nothing has changed since years ago. The results are the same. No new hair :slight_smile:

Holy crapola…I havent seen LaGirl post in what, 4 years?6 years? Good to see you put your nose in here again on occasion!

1 Like

Ohh yes, I remember LAGirl when I stumbled on Hairtell ages ago. She was a solid source on Laser hair removal support and advice.

What areas can be induced by laser for females?

Typically it’s the face. It’s highly advice to avoid the face and any area that has fine hair. Upper legs, upper arms, female back, stomach, and face. I would suggest electrolysis for any area that has fine hair.

Laser is great for areas that have thick coarse hair like underarms, lower legs, and bikini.

Also please note that laser does not work for hair that isn’t black. If you have hair that is red, blonde or white definitely try electrolysis instead. The laser won’t be able to see the hair if it doesn’t have dark pigment