tweezers/instruments

Looks like I found a solution to my problem. I found a dry heat sterilizer with a small chamber for $50 plus shipping here in Ontario.Trying to get it paid for this week.Hurray!

So, I had another session today and, no, she was not sterilizing the tweezers properly between each client - she merely sprayed them with a cleaning solution - the same she uses to wipe the table/equipment. I asked her that she uses new ones with me from now on (she says those that are in packages have been sterilized with an auto clave) and that she opens the packages in front of me as she does with the needles. yeah, that’s the thing I <i>had</i> to ask…

Just…after knowing this how worried should I be about any cross infection from other clients? How likely is it that I got something from tweezers? I’m having regular blood tests on september, I’ll be sure to mention this to my doctor.

Also, I asked what energy level she’s been using and she said 80. That seems too high for face work (neck in particular) and I asked her to lower it. She lowered it to 60 and I did feel tugging of the hairs this time around. She says at 60 we won’t affect the hair so much but 80 seemed really high for the neck/chin area.

Those numbers mean nothing. You dont know what the timing was, the modultion, is it 80 milliaamps or 80% of the machines capacity of thermolysis and if so what type of machine and how is it calibrated? This is something your practitioner knows and is familiar with but you are not. Was it for .004 seconds or a second or 15 seconds? I honestly dont think you have the knowledge to be second-guessing the practitioners settings.This is a mistake.If they were getting smooth releases before ( and now arent as your post suggests) and were not causing scarring or similar, then you have made an error in judgement and probably offended them in the process.

You have a valid point on the tweezers, but I would like to point something out. The risk from dirty or contaminated tweezers is relatively low, in most cases they dont even touch the skin, let alone cause it to be punctured and put you at risk for blood born infection.This usually only occurs if an ingrown or similar is being treated.This doesnt mean you shouldnt perhaps supply your own high end tweezers (hell boil em if you have to betweeen treatments especially if it’s only you and the practitioner that touches them and they wear gloves) but as I understand electrolysis practitioners of quality are hard to come by in portugal, you are better off not offending them if it’s your only option.By all means protect your health however.

Seana

I see. Yes, you are right. Perhaps I am overjudging things. The Internet helps with information but it also has its disadvantages. I read somewhere the recommended energy for the face was 50-60 so I got worried. Yes, I am a worrier, sometimes even paranoid. As for offended, I don’t think she was. She said she had no issues with lowering the settings, but she did warn me about it.

Yes, I did remember the suggestion of using my own tweezers. But I think that ought to offend her more than me asking that she opens new ones for me.

Yes, electrolysis is well unheard of here and there aren’t many options. However, as a client, I feel that if I am bothered by something I ought to speak my mind instead of letting it be or just commenting here instead of talking to the practitioner. Communication is key in every aspect of life.

And I do worry about how I come across to others - heck, sometimes even too much. Even when I am angry about something (not this case, though, more worried than anything close to angry) I always try to be polite ond considering to others. I think this issue about the sterilization is too important not to mention out of fear of offending the practitioner.

I hope she does it.

If she is using a sterile probe every time, your risks should be very low. It is unfortunate that she is not following standard protocols for the tweezers (and tips?). Soaking, scrubbing with ultrasonics, sterilization is appropriate…

If every single epilator were the same, this might mean something, but they are not. On my Fischer CBX the intensity level I used for large diameter hairs is up there in the 80s and 90s with very quick timing or quick pulsing. Seana explains well the fact we don’t know what the 80 on your electrologist’s epilator means. Just because this electrologist doesn’t seem to be following infection prevention protocols doesn’t mean she doesn’t have good treatment techniques. (Boy, that sure was a lot of “doesn’ts.” Hope you don’t have to read it 5 times to get it.)

Yes, she uses new needles every time. She makes sure to open the package in front of me.

(Boy, that sure was a lot of “doesn’ts.” Hope you don’t have to read it 5 times to get it.)

I got it, thanks! =)