The Syneron Comet is a High Tech Gimmick

Mantaray,

I’m wondering if you’re considering trying one treatments with a more proven laser like LightSheer or GentleLASE at high settings on one smaller area to compare. From what I understand, you have pretty light skin and dark hair, so you don’t really need an RF component.

A few weeks ago, the Aesthera rep was at my practitioner’s office. He had worked for other laser companies like Lumenis and Candela. I asked him about the Comet. He said that hardly anybody was using it and that the RF feature was just a gimmick. I thought maybe he was just saying that because Syneron was his competition. So his comments are in line with what you said.

RJC,
Interesting, because today I had the fortune of bumping into two reps for Cutera. I really didn’t have time to talk to them, although they wanted to talk to me and I actually had to cut the quick conversation short. But, I asked what they thought of the Comet. Their response was pretty negative. Their response verbatim: 'Don’t waste your time. The Comet has been something of a disappointment."

…I’ll say it’s been a disappointment. Funny, if they read this, they’ll know exactly who asked them and all I can say is: Sorry guys, I really had no time to talk didn’t mean to be rude or anything. But I wish I’d heard all these opinions a year ago. But I guess it was too new.

LA Girl,
I’m actually weighing out two clinics that both use a GentleLase alexandrite. I’ve talked with both and showed them areas I had done with the Comet. Although one is a little more expensive, they allot more time for treatments. If they do it right and take their time to be thorough, that is what I think is important. This is just recently, I’m still going let my skin get a little more healthier for at least a few more weeks. This time, I’m going to get one treatment and monitor it closely, and just see what happens.

Sounds good. Keep us posted. I think it will really show a difference. If I were you, I would get one area done with LightSheer (35 joules and up) and one with GentleLASE (20 joules and up).

How ironic that you ran into the Cutera reps! Did they have anything interesting to say? If you run into them again, ask them something like. "Why should I use the Cutera Coolglide (or ProWave 770), instead of the Comet?

You’re right, the Comet is new. Only a few members on this forum have tried it. Nobody in our area has it. My practitioner was reluctant to lease one because of the random RF burns seen with the Aurora at half the RF power. I had a few RF burns. The one on the inside of my lower arm (which did not bother me that much) took about 2 years for the discoloration to go away. But it did go away.

One thing I have to say about all these lasers is that the YAGs result in the least amount of redness and scabbing. Burns have been non existent. The coarseness of the hair and the darkness of the skin should dictate whether a Nd:YAG laser should be used. For finer hair and lighter skin the diode and alex are preferred.

RJC2001

How ironic that you ran into the Cutera reps!

Yeah, they were wearing these matching grey woolly pullover jackets that said “Cutera” in yellow letters. They looked like twins. It was kind of surreal when I saw the logo. Internet world meets real world. I just threw a few quick questions out they answered, and very friendly and politely. They were down here talking to clinics. I guess it’s a normal thing to do in that trade.

One thing that’s irked me that I’ve noticed is that any real slight loss is on my right leg. It’s hard to estimate, but I would put it at a 5% to 10% reduction after five treatments. My left leg has more hair. It’s not really visually noticeable, but when stubble comes in, then, I can feel the difference.

Mantaray