Soy Milk reduces hair growth and hair follicle

Nisim pulls all their health claims out of their @$$. They are not based on any reliable scientific methodology.

Does anybody know of any trials that are taking place with face creams with the active soy in them. If so how long untill a product could be available to buy, i think they could be a big market for a daily face cream with the active soy in, johnson & johnson have a good reputation for creams, do you think this is the product they would like to market?

The said that it will be available for consumption in few months and that’s all i know.

Andrea or anybody- How are we supposed to find out when it’s availeable for cunsumption?

well has anyone tried applying the soymilk directly to the skin? If so is it sticky or does it work? also, tess, what are you doing with soy?

quaterman, I’m keeping an eye on it, but R&D generally takes quite a while. Some companies plan product launches on two or three year timetables

neil, a couple of consumers hare are trying it topically, but there is no treatment protocol set up at this time (i.e., how much to use, when to use, how long to leave it on, etc.). Anyone trying it is going to have a very difficult time assessing the results based on their own attempts, since there’s so many variables.

JNJ has removed all the info regarding that research from pubmed and They claim they cannot answer questions about it when asked so i wonder if it’s in the late stages of develpoment. What do you think Andrea?

Either that, or they were getting too many distracting queries from the general public. Every letter they have to answer takes time away from rersearch, and as I know from this site, the letters can add up and really cut into the time available for new work. Good thing we have the pubmed entry right here!

Guess what… JNJ has been selling soy-based products for a while:
http://www.jnj.com/news/jnj_news/20020308_1101.htm

Thanks for staying on top of this, quaterman! :relaxed:

I’ve just noticed that is a FACIAL products line so I’m worried that any kind of hair redaction treatment will be only facial.
You can read in the report itself- they mantion facial hirsutism only.

Hi again,

(Andrea i can’t use my other login name…)

I have kind of good new. i e-mailed aveeno and they said that their new conditioners based on soy reduced hair growth. Yet, they are not being marketed as hair inhibitors and they are quite expensive so we can’t possibly use them on large areas, only on small patches for a test i assume.

I also emailed JNJ through their webpage regarding any kind of hair inhibitor and they clamied that they were not aware of any kind of research related to that issue… maybe they are trying to keep it secretly. oh well…

I think what they are concerned about is the quacks jumping to conclusions that a mouse study is proof that the same effect occurs in humans. JNJ is a very reputable company with high ethical standards. They know that marketing soy milk as a hair inhibitor for humans without adequate documentation is unethical and probably illegal. Big companies with good repuations are going to take the time to get the proof before making health claims. The fly-by-night folks will whip up their herbal concoctions and market them as hair inhibitors without proof, because they don’t think proof is important.

[ March 11, 2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

Then why did they claim they didn’t have any info?
Another thing Andrea, do you think it would be affordable to deal with body hair on large areas?

Ok i got this e-mail from JNJ itself:

Aveeno Positively Smooth Shave Gel naturally helps you spend less time shaving,
while helping to prevent shaving irritation, so your skin stays softer, smoother
longer. This creamy shave gel is specially formulated to immediately soften and
condition hair making it easier for you to get a closer shave so you can shave
less often with continued use. Its unique formula contains rich emollients and
natural soy extracts. These ingredients have been shown to minimize the
appearance of unwanted hair in Positively Smooth Moisturizing Lotion with daily
use.This creamy gel rehydrates, moisturizes, and soothes skin to help prevent
nicks, cuts, and even razor bumps. And, this clean rinsing formula has a light
natural scent and is gentle enough for even sensitive skin.
This is not a quack, it’s the real thing i believe.

These claims are identical to the previous “shave minimizing lotion” Naturally Smooth.

There is no express claim of growth inhibition, merely that there can be a tactile/cosmetic effect regarding the APPEARANCE. The language is very nuanced and obviouslt cleared through their legal department. It sounds good, but the claims are no different than before.

Good to have you back Andrea. I thought “they” have got you or something…

Anyhow, i think that JNJ has a good reputation behind it and it would be worth to try.

Hey all,
hmmm. well I think soya may have to do something with hair growth… read my article hair or here:
http://www.hairtell.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=45;t=000017

Bye… :grin:

This is in no way my field of expertise, but I do remember reading some fascinating studies very recently. I’ve tried to find the links again, without any success, but perhaps someone else will…

As there would appear to be more and more children with lactose intolerance, and more and more health conscious parents, so now more and more kids are being given soy milk as a substitute for cow’s milk.

The interesting thing is that the isoflavones in soy milk seem to contain phyto estrogens, and girls raised on soy milk would appear to have their bodies reach puberty 18 months to two years prior to kids raised on cow’s milk.

BUT this is still unproven!!!

My only thought is that if indeed it is confirmed that soy is a phyto estrogen, then obviously it would be having an effect on hair growth, as do so many other phyto hormones. Any androgen suppressant (aldactone, androcur, etc…)will reduce hair growth.

Having said that, I can believe that whereas someone consuming a product (soy milk) for a dozen years will be affected by it, I cannot believe that a few applications of soy milk on the body could have any real impact on hair growth (but I will try it!).

If that were the case, estrogel would work better than Vaniqa, and a mixture of androcur and olive oil could be the snake oil of the 21st century!. (DO NOT TRY THIS!)

Sorry for the ramble. Andrea, please correct any obvious errors…

plz update more info for working